My slow speed diamond disc lapping machine, the beginning

I'm not really given to conspiracy thinking, but the one thing whose price has remained pretty level is liquor. I admit, that makes me suspicious.

As to the motor, there isn't much to tell at this point. It's a standard induction motor of some unknown horsepower that may or may not be wired for 110V operation, with about a 5/8" shaft. The data plate is all scuffed off, and it has a bunch of wires hanging off of it, and a giant capacitor that is attached to one, but not two wires. The first puzzle is figuring out which other wire attaches to the capacitor.

A buddy of mine just showed up at random and handed it to me yesterday.

View attachment 417333
That looks a lot like a swamp cooler motor?

Thanks again. As for the speed, my (potentially flawed) plan is to use a DC motor to drive a belt coupled grinder arbor.
I don't know if you are still looking for a motor??
Check out surpluscenter.com

I have the motor. Current issue is analysis/paralysis.

I purchased a six inch disk for my wheel and have started the machining on it, but now that I'm looking at it, it sure looks bigger than I need. I mean, this is going to be a slow speed grinder, so I don't need the angular velocity provided by a large diameter disk. With a smaller disk, I could just turn the RPM up some. I'm thinking that I could have gotten away with five inch dia, or even four.

So I've got a six inch diamond disk on the way and I'll look the whole thing over more when that arrives.

I'm also in the same boat with how I mount the wheel to my arbor... Do I want to make up a hub like you did. Or (since my disk is a full one inch thick) I could thread a hole in the middle of that disk and screw directly onto my threaded grinder arbor.

Analysis/paralysis. It's not just for other people. :)

Back