My time has come..........surgery

Doesn't sound like too much fun.

My son is 35 and just had an MRI. He needs hip socket surgery. Not a replacement but pretty much all the stuff that makes a hip replacement fun.
The ball on his femur has a burr on it and it's tearing up the socket. It's a genetic issue, the Dr thinks.

Reading the recovery notes will probably be stuck in my mind when he's recovering.

Adding, I had an epidural when I had my appendix out (stayed relatively awake) and the recovery from that wasn't fun. My brain knew my connections were there but couldn't manage to turn off the pain instinct and it "felt" like my legs were doing the splits. Finally I got a nurse to bump my foot and my brain reconnected and the phantom pain was instantly gone.

Also, thanking you for the blow-by-blow.

You mentioned not being able to let go of the walker on Day+2.
Has that passed yet?

I had a similar experience (except related to a relatively minor injury).
After the injury, I was walking with a limp. Then, while walking, my attention became fully focused on an unrelated subject. Suddenly I realized I was walking with a completely normal gait. As soon as I thought about it, I started to limp again and couldn't convince myself to stop limping. It seems silly but that was my experience. Some part of my brain insisted that I favor that injury, even though walking with a normal gait was not painful. The limp passed in a day or two.

Best wises for your completely satisfactory outcome.

Doesn't sound like too much fun.

My son is 35 and just had an MRI. He needs hip socket surgery. Not a replacement but pretty much all the stuff that makes a hip replacement fun.
The ball on his femur has a burr on it and it's tearing up the socket. It's a genetic issue, the Dr thinks.
Hopefully that will keep him from having a full replacement.

Big take aways so far...
eat something with the pain pills
don't wean off of them too soon
take the stool softeners
follow what the dr says
nap when needed
get up and move a little often
Also, thanking you for the blow-by-blow.

You mentioned not being able to let go of the walker on Day+2.
Has that passed yet?
I was just able to do so but with bracing my right foot hard against my left calf for balance.

Day +4 - There's not much improvement over yesterday. I'll update when there's the next big step.
Cut the oxy back to 1 pill and stretched the interval in between. Kept all other meds on schedule. Did take 2 oxy before bed. I did get up same as other days but didn't take a nap until the afternoon. Who would have thought doing simple stretches and setting in the car for an hour to pick up the kids from school would wear you out? Soreness is still in the quad muscle.

Hi guys.

So after 13 years of walking with pain after my bike accident in 09', it is time for my total hip replacement at 45 on Monday 28November. Initially the docters told me I would be able to walk for 3 years after they patched me up and then I would have to get a hip replacement. Well I think they did a great job if I could go 10 years longer than expected. Currently it looks like a bicycle chain is holding everything together in there :D.

Well wish my luck guys.......if you want to that is;). Will only be back in my shop mid January 2023:(.

Thanks for viewing
Michael
Best Luck Michael. wish fast recovery. Don't loose your skills:) See you soon

I had a similar experience (except related to a relatively minor injury).
After the injury, I was walking with a limp. Then, while walking, my attention became fully focused on an unrelated subject. Suddenly I realized I was walking with a completely normal gait.
Sometimes recovery sneaks up on you. After two knee replacements I couldn't cross my legs and my wife would have put on my shoes for me. One day I was in a hurry and without thinking I crossed my legs to put on my shoes. "Hey, I didn't know I could do that!"

@Jason812

Listen to your physio/recovery team!

Brian
assuming you get a decent one. 2 different episodes they just gave me busy work while they took care of 3 others at the same time

finally went somewhere else and got a good one. she sent a note to the doc that said don't send him back until you fix him

Back