My Used - Newly Acquired - BANDSAW

AdvenJack

Registered
Registered
Brand new guy here. Post 1 was in the New Guys section. I'm going to build an open sailboat.
After much research, I concluded that a BANDSAW that can cut wood a tad less than 6" tall,
would be able to cut planks from typical 2x6 boards of 16 feet length. I'll be making scarf joints
aplenty! The planks will be 0.25 of an inch thick, 5.5 inches tall, and longest length will be 16".
(I've learned the woodworking term "RESAWING" as a result of my "digging", as opposed to
"RIPPING" and "CROSS CUTTING".) I'll be using a blade with 3 TPI more or less. I am hoping
to have someone, or more than one of you all, who knows the DELTA Model 28-195 BANDSAW
(so-called 10 inch model) to meet me someplace and look over this unit that I recently bought,
finding it on Craig's List. I'll buy lunch for your trouble! Please send a PM to me if you can help.
Thanks very much!
Jack

If I were you I would pass on that saw.
Find a decent used cast iron 12” or 14” saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I were you I would pass on that saw.
Find a decent used cast iron 12” or 14” saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

14" is the most common bandsaw because it's been made by so many different makers and they all seem to use the same parts so they are plentiful and CHEAP.

First off, Welcome.
That was about the crappiest greeting to a new member ever!
Those little saws are great for small stuff like trim and cabinetry but I think you will pushing it to destruction with the amount of work you need to do to build a boat. 14" is about the minimum needed and with that comes some power and accuracy.
Here is a really good site with a lot of good solid information and tips from a master shipwright:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClPa3pmqKwApysaYi7B7Nlg Well worth a look.
I wouldn't ditch your new saw either as everything can be made better and the fact that you can move them around easily makes them very useful in any shop.

...I wouldn't ditch your new saw...

Actually now would be the time to get rid of it and start fresh with a tool that is capable of doing the work you are planning. Ask questions first, before buying.

Jack, welcome here.
I don't think there is a person on here who hasn't bought a tool or machine that wasn't quite up to the task.

I am not sure of the specs on this saw but I am sure you can get use from it. It should cut scarf joints easily and cross cut. A resaw takes a lot of horse power to cut, especially 6" tall. A resaw has an aggressive tooth angle with deep gullets so the wood has a place to go as you cut. Cutting 16' long will be very hard without the blade wandering on a small saw.

I bet there is a millwork or cabinet shop or sawmill in your area that could do this for you to get your pieces and then you take it from there.

Cheers
Martin

I ran a custom woodworking shop for many years and have a lot of experience resawing lumber on a bandsaw. Sorry to say that machine will not work for what you want to do. At the very least a 14" vintage "Delta" or equivalent (all cast iron) with a minimum 1hp motor (2hp would be ideal). The machine will need to be tuned-up well. I suggest upgrading the blade guides with graphite impregnated phenolic "Cool Blocks" and polyurethane tires for the wheels. use the widest blade the saw will handle, think its ¾" for those machines but 1" would be better. A well designed fence and jig for making the joint will also be necessary.
Alternately you can make that joint with a power hand plane and a jig. Might be a lot easier that way.

Brand new guy here. Post 1 was in the New Guys section. I'm going to build an open sailboat.
After much research, I concluded that a BANDSAW that can cut wood a tad less than 6" tall,
would be able to cut planks from typical 2x6 boards of 16 feet length. I'll be making scarf joints
aplenty! The planks will be 0.25 of an inch thick, 5.5 inches tall, and longest length will be 16".
(I've learned the woodworking term "RESAWING" as a result of my "digging", as opposed to
"RIPPING" and "CROSS CUTTING".) I'll be using a blade with 3 TPI more or less. I am hoping
to have someone, or more than one of you all, who knows the DELTA Model 28-195 BANDSAW
(so-called 10 inch model) to meet me someplace and look over this unit that I recently bought,
finding it on Craig's List. I'll buy lunch for your trouble! Please send a PM to me if you can help.
Thanks very much!
Jack
Welcome to the forum! You might get away with resawing 6" boards with that saw but it'll be really slow going. I have a similar Craftsman 12" band saw and resawed maybe 200 linear feet of red oak boards between 4"-5" wide. Did the typical "L" stick for a fence; clamped the "L" so the upright leg was set 1/2 the 3/4" oak board thickness from the blade. I used a 1/2" wide 4-tooth blade. Had to be really careful not to stall the saw as mine has either a 1/3 or 1/2 HP motor. Resawing is probably the hardest operation on a wood cutting band saw. I was patient and got it to work, then ran the rough surface through a planer to clean it up.

Honestly, I know it's blowing away a lot of wood, but it would save you a lot of time to just plane the boards down to thickness. Of course, depends on your budget. If you have the time, try the resawing which will probably take you at least 30 minutes for a 16' board. Or run it through a planer at (my planer's speed) of 12 feet per minute to get them to size.

Our local specialty woodworking store (Johnson's Lumber in Charlotte, MI; www.theworkbench.com) does custom mill work. Resawing fee is 5x from planing ($0.35 per board foot vs. $0.07 for 1000 BF). If I'm doing the math correctly, they'd charge $0.42/board foot to resaw and plane 1000 BF of lumber or $420. Don't know how much lumber your boat will need, but having a meaty, beefy professional set of machines doing the work for you might be a better option. Again, depends on your budget, if your time is free and you have plenty of it, there is a lot to say being able to point out to sailors on your boat that you milled all of the wood yourself.

Bruce

1576334979846.png

Back