My van norman 12

Nelson:

Thanks, parts diagram I have. I will search the VN sites you suggested and attempt to locate the information you mentioned. Undoubtedly I will still have some questions to run by you. I considered not removing the separate attachments and just taping off and painting around. I think that removal if I can accomplish it is probably the best.

POR is sold out of Morristown NJ, it's a rust preventative paint. A lot of automobile restorer use it especially for undercarriages and chassis. It's expensive but tough will take hammer strikes without cracking or chipping. FYI: www.por15.com.

Thanks again,

Cayuse

cayusedriver link=topic=3759.msg27720#msg27720 date=1317408298 said:
Nelson:

Thanks, parts diagram I have. I will search the VN sites you suggested and attempt to locate the information you mentioned. Undoubtedly I will still have some questions to run by you. I considered not removing the separate attachments and just taping off and painting around. I think that removal if I can accomplish it is probably the best.

POR is sold out of Morristown NJ, it's a rust preventative paint. A lot of automobile restorer use it especially for undercarriages and chassis. It's expensive but tough will take hammer strikes without cracking or chipping. FYI: www.por15.com.

Thanks again,

Cayuse

Remove everything down to the base and column as in my photos- it is SOOOO much easier to paint that way. I use a brush, and the Rustoleum works nicely, leaves no brush marks.

Ask me anything you want about disassembly- been there, done that x2.

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
cayusedriver link=topic=3759.msg27692#msg27692 date=1317388271 said:
... I guess I need to ask how to disassemble and remove the RAM assembly and the table from the machine for painting.

Personally, I wouldn't try to remove either the ram or the table without something like an engine hoist or gantry crane to handle them. What do you have available? Do you have any height restrictions in your work area?

cayusedriver link=topic=3759.msg27692#msg27692 date=1317388271 said:
... The old motor that's in the photos is Kaput so I intend to replace it with a 2 HP craftsman motor model # 113.12025, unless someone would recommend otherwise. ...

I couldn't find any information on the Craftsman motor. Is it reversible? What voltage?

I think you would be much happier with a 3-phase motor and a VFD. What's wrong with the old motor?

[size=18pt]Cal[/size]

Cal:

Craftsman motor is a 2 HP, 120/240 volt, 24/12 amp, 1725 rpm, reversable motor.

The old motor that's visible in the photographs was not the original motor. I took it to an electric motor repair/ rebuild shop, the mechanic there said it was a Old OLD HVAC motor and it was about a 1750 rpm 220 volt 1.5 HP motor that would cost 4-5 hundred to repair and still wouldn't be as efficient as a more recently produced motor. I had bought this craftsman a couple years ago off CL for an extremely cheap price. It appeared new and ran in 120 v mode very nicely. I got some 1", 3/4", and 1/2" steel plate to fabricate a motor mount base plate and bring the center of the new motor shaft to the same height above the ram motor mount plate when mounted as was the old motor shaft. I'll need to figure what diameter pulleys to apply to the motor shaft to provide the correct rpm on the pulleys at the gearbox input shaft. Also, I don't have 3 phase input here.

Thanks,

Cayuse

cayusedriver link=topic=3759.msg27792#msg27792 date=1317434728 said:
... Craftsman motor is a 2 HP, 120/240 volt, 24/12 amp, 1725 rpm, reversable motor.
I'll need to figure what diameter pulleys to apply to the motor shaft to provide the correct rpm on the pulleys at the gearbox input shaft. Also, I don't have 3 phase input here.
24A is too much for a 120VAC plug. Unless you want to direct wire it to a dedicated 30 amp circuit, you should go with 240 VAC (which is a better choice anyway).

I wouldn't assume that the guy that put the existing motor on bothered to change the pulleys; you may be fine with what you have. What are the diameters of your current pulleys? We also need to know the reduction for the gearbox. Put your gearbox in the lowest setting and have an assistant turn the turn the input shaft while you count the revolutions of the spindle; how many revs of the spindle do you get for 10 revs of the input shaft (1 rev isn't enough)?

You don't need 3-phase input for a VFD. There are VFDs that take 240 single phase and produce 3-phase out.

[size=18pt]Cal[/size]

que maravilla de maquina , la verdad muy practica , que precio tiene? solo por curiosidad gracias

Miguel:

pague 350. USD. La compre en una subasta, hace 10 anos atras. Hasta ahora tengo el tiempo de arreglarla. Hablo muy poco espanol mi nuera me esta ayudando a mandarte este email.

Muchas gracias por preguntar, Cayuse.

Cal Haines link=topic=3759.msg27809#msg27809 date=1317440658 said:
cayusedriver link=topic=3759.msg27792#msg27792 date=1317434728 said:
I wouldn't assume that the guy that put the existing motor on bothered to change the pulleys; you may be fine with what you have. What are the diameters of your current pulleys? We also need to know the reduction for the gearbox. Put your gearbox in the lowest setting and have an assistant turn the turn the input shaft while you count the revolutions of the spindle; how many revs of the spindle do you get for 10 revs of the input shaft (1 rev isn't enough)?
[size=18pt]Cal[/size]

Cal:
Gearbox pulley is 4 1/8 inches in diameter. Motor pulley (old motor does not run) pulley is 3 1/2 inches in diameter.

With the gears set in lowest speed setting A on 5 (five), B on 1 (one) as detailed on the machine speed plate displaying 70 (seventy) rpm, it took 17 (seventeen) revolutions of the Gearbox pulley to turn the cutter head spindle 1 (one) revolution.

Cayuse

I was albeit to move the VN myself with and engine crane.

There are two K&T mills on Craig's list in Va for $500.00, but I don't know what they weigh.

Nelson

K&T's are nice buy waaaaay heavier. The smallest are around 4000 lbs...

Back