My Version of a King Way Alignment Tool

Good thread, ill be watching.... Nice work on the tool so far.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it is possible to create a block that still slides along the crossbar, but has a channel or method to simply place a machinists level onto it. Thus, avoiding the expense of having to buy a vial that is permanently attached to the tool.
I would be concerned that the alignment jig could pretty easily be bumped, and your level(s) bounced off the floor or the lathe. The permanent mounting is classy, but dedicated. It might also be possible to make some hold down clamps to hold the levels to the bracket temporarily, that would be safer for the levels. Even a bungee cord might be a low tech solution.

A requirement for the cross level is that it needs to be adjustable; a machinist's level would not satisfy that requirement, and ordinary machinist's levels have only .005" per ft. graduations, when .0005" per ft. is the requirement. The .005" PF level would have very little, if any value for alignment purposes; I use one to rough level a machine, then go on to the .0005" level for final leveling.

Here are some close up details on the Kingway fixture, especially showing the mounting and adjustment provisions for the level vials; note that the stationary end is mounted solidly to a plate which pivots on a pin through the protective housing, the adjustable end has a fine threaded adjustment that acts against a spring under the end plug of the vial housing. pic. #1 shows the unit in the box. The shoe that the ball on the left side of pic. 2 is made of Delrin.
pic. #4 shows the two vials and housings mounted together; I take it apart to store it in the box to take up less room.
Pic. #5 shows the spring under the vial end plug and its adjusting knob.
#6 shows the level housing removed from the cross level housing. There is a washer on the knob shaft to hold the long level away from the cross housing so that it can be smoothly adjusted.
#7 shows the same part from another angle.
#8 shows the swivel and rod that attaches a dial indicator to the unit; all the swivels used are Brown & Sharpe products and were found on e bay. They lock up quite rigidly "like a rock".

Rich King tells me that there were 3 sizes of the Kingway fixture, HK 100 with 3/8" rods, HK 200 with 3/4" rods and HK 300 with 1-1/4 diameter rods; the one I am showing is the HK 200. For most of us, the HK 100 would likely be the best choice.

kingway 2 details 010.JPG

kingway 2 details 011.JPG

kingway 2 details 012.JPG

kingway 2 details 013.JPG

kingway 2 details 014.JPG

kingway 2 details 015 - Copy.JPG

kingway 2 details 016 - Copy.JPG

kingway 2 details 017 - Copy.JPG

kingway 2 details 017.JPG

kingway 2 details 018.JPG

You can use a carbide cutter for the end of the ball, I have one that came out of a large Ingersoll ball end mill, it is like an inch in diameter and really smooth. 5FEM8_AS01.jpg It does not have to be perfectly round, just flat with a hole in it.

Back