Mystery Lathe Help

You will need to know:
  1. the tooth count of every gear in the train (including the spindle gear)
  2. the layout of the gears (simple vs compound, as the math is slightly different)
  3. the lead-screw pitch
  4. the tooth count of all the spare gears that can be swapped in
I figured there was some math that I could do to make sense of it all. Brino, Ive got all that information what is the relationship between them or ratio(s) that I am looking for, is there a chart for this, or even search terms that might lead me in the right direction?

Did you get the answer to this?
You could look for numbers on the bed.
Welcome to THM
Hey thanks! No answer, and honestly not that worried, I thought maybe someone knew off hand and that would help hone the search for answers but as far as i can tell the only numbers on it are for the forward reverse switch. No casting marks or anything ah well.

But I did have a breakthrough, with the gear train, I found some good info on the link I posted above regarding the gear train and ratios, I had thought that surely the idler gear would have some effect on the train, but apparently not so much "Because change gears of various sizes are used, the distance between gears will vary. Therefore, an idler gear must be used to transmit the motion (Figure 8-10). The idler gear does not change the gear ratio."

and secondly, upon taking apart the stud gear arrangement, which has a 24t that is driven by the second tumble gear same as the spindle followed by a 20t. When I tried counting it on the machine I had come up with 16t and the chart that came with the lathe calls for a 20t which try as a I might I couldn't find. Well problem solved found it and now along with a greater understanding of the relationship between the various change gears the chart makes sense.

Just took a little bit more puzzling than I had given it before. or maybe it was one of those things where you find the thing you're looking for once you ask for help finding it.. murphy is that you pulling my leg?

Back