N00b With Questions

AZ_Viejo

Registered
Registered
Good day all,
I just bought my first lathe, a Vevor 8x14. it has been ground and trued up quite well prior to my purchase. There are a few things i do want to get for it, first being a quick change tool post and a four jaw chuck (So many on Amazon). Also the speed control knob starts the motor at about 300 rpm rather than 50 or thereabouts.
Im asking advice on which tool posts and chucks would fit right up without modification, and is there a low end adjustment for the motor speed? Ive looked out in the ether and there seems to be little to zero info or manuals for these lathes out there. So looking forward to learning ! Thanks in advance!
Mark

Im asking advice on which tool posts and chucks would fit right up without modification,
Mark-
Can you post a picture of the top of your compound (without the toolpost)?
Some of the 8x lathes have a raised area around the threaded hole, other compound tops are flat.

You might be out of luck on the low speed adjustment- see if there are any trimmers on the circuit board
but mark them with a sharpie before tweaking any so you can go back where you started

None of these mini lathes have much documentation for the speed controls- if they fail the only options
are replacing a board or retrofitting a different motor and controller
There is a place that repairs some of them:
www.olduhfguy.com

Last edited:
Mark-
Can you post a picture of the top of your compound (without the toolpost)?
Some of the 8x lathes have a raised area around the threaded hole, other compound tops are flat.
IMG_3922.jpeg

It should be pretty straightforward to put on a OXA or AXA QCTP with that flat compound top.
You might have to make a new threaded post if the thread pitches don't match up, but you have the lathe for that. :)
I had to do that a few times.
What's the distance from the top of the compound to the center line of the spindle?
There are a few different ways to measure that distance. If you have something with a point,you can put it in the chuck and measure to that.
Or just measure to the bottom and to the top of the chuck body and average the numbers. Anything like that will be close enough.
Then check the specs for OXA and AXA to see which fits better.
You don't want the tool (probably 3/8 or 10mm tools?) to be above center, you can always use the adjusment on the QCTP to raise a tool.

You'll want to remove that detent from the top of the compound; I've never understood the reason for them anyway.

What's up with that gap between the compound and cross slide? That's contrary to what I'd expect for maximum rigidity.

Based on a photo I found on Amazon I do have to say that it doesn't look like an anomaly but it sure looks sub-optimal to me. A photo of the Grizzly 8x16 doesn't show that.....but I bet you didn't pay anywhere near what they want for it, either.

What's up with that gap between the compound and cross slide? That's contrary to what I'd expect for maximum rigidity.

Based on a photo I found on Amazon I do have to say that it doesn't look like an anomaly but it sure looks sub-optimal to me. A photo of the Grizzly 8x16 doesn't show that.....but I bet you didn't pay anywhere near what they want for it, either.
Perhaps you are looking at the plastic protractor that's bolted to the compound?

Back