National Grammar Day

damp: resist oscillations. (or moist).
dampen: to make moist.

Since that got slaughtered so often I think that the dictionary has modified the definition.

So who thinks "nuclear" is pronounced "noo-keew-ler"?

Who gets up to "soddering"? In this case, I think the change became accepted in common usage in the USA - but apparently not everywhere. To folk from UK the verb comes across as almost rude!

Al Haig was known for constructing his own words, often by use of "ize" or "ization" suffix to denote a process, where "process" was anything he wanted to refer to. During the Falklands war, at a diplomatic meeting pause for some lunch, Margaret Thatcher raised a little levity in an otherwise difficult time by inviting him and others to move to another room and "de-hungerize".

"Utilize" does not get modified from "utility" well. "Utilization" gets really ugly. There has never been a time I saw this where it could not be simply replaced by "use", or "use of". It lives off the same logic that gives us "modernize", but that one fares rather better.

Do not feel too badly about the vagaries of English. Other languages have it worse! Dutch-Flemish Afrikaans cannot have a word for "tubeless tire" without making it a full description. "Binnelosebuiteband" is literally "without insides outside rubber band".

There is a place near CapeTown called "Mutual", so named because of the Mutual Life Assurance Society. The sign on the building contains the word "lewensversekeringsgenootskap".

In learning French, there are innocent words that suddenly become very rude indeed depending on context, or very slight alterations in pronounciation emphasis, and grammar gets very difficult if you don't know the gender of a noun. There is no logic in it, you just have to learn them by heart.

Last edited:
Thank you for bringing this to our attention Braeden.

I am no expert but I am sometimes appalled at the use of gonna, wanna, prolly, coudda, and many other terms that just show lazy spelling skills and reflect poorly on our education system.

The one that gets me is vise vs. vice. Used wrong here all of the time, but what's the diff? We all understand the meaning. When the sh*t hits the fan at the factory and a machinist is needed to fix something, no one cares if he got turrable gramma, just how fast he gets the line running agin.

Bruce

Break and brake get me going.

LOL. There are at least a dozen threads on here about words that people misspell or grind our individual gears.

My pet peeve, especially on this site, is scrape vs. scrap. It is so easy to innocently make this mistake yet it reads as if a jumbo jet liner is flying through your monitor directly at you when it happens. Scrapping a part has an entirely different meaning when what you really meant was that you were hand scraping a square to a specified flatness.

I hate the misuse of your for you're, such as, "So, your from California!"

I dunno... I think if I tried to 'scrape' something to a specified tolerance, the two words would quickly have the same meaning...

-Bear

I dislike that one too. But I really hate the use of "seen" without a helper verb like have, has, or had. For me, it's the verbal equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard.
John

damp: resist oscillations. (or moist).
dampen: to make moist.

Since that got slaughtered so often I think that the dictionary has modified the definition.
You guys oughta know that my evil twin is gonna make a list of your pet peeves for future posts. Forewarned is four armed. :grin:

Tom

Sufficient: soo-fish-int
Gauge: gozh (rhymes with how you would correctly pronounce “gauze”)
Varying: vah-ree-ying
Toledo: as you would correctly pronounce the Spanish city, in Castilian.
Acetylene: ace-til-een

It would appear that the gentleman also speaks Spanish, but 95% of the words would lead you to believe that he is a native English speaker.

You guys oughta know that my evil twin is gonna make a list of your pet peeves for future posts. Forewarned is four armed. :grin:

Tom
Can't wait to see how you spin all of this into a yarn!

I butcher English just to annoy my kids (back when they were younger). I'm already ready already comes to mind initially. I'll think of more.....

Back