National Grammar Day

A little off topic, but I am currently listening to an audiobook on welding & cutting. The native-speaker narrator mispronounces “acetylene”, “sufficient”, “gauge” and “varying” every time. The mispronunciations make it hard to concentrate on what I’m trying to learn. You would think that he would have at least gotten it straight in how to pronounce acetylene before recording the audiobook.

EDIT: Now he just mispronounced Toledo, so I guess this is just going to continue.
Wait. Just how does one mispronounce "sufficient", "gauge" and "varying", not to mention "Toledo"? Acetylene... I can see someone stumbling over that, but not for a professional voice reading an audio book. Sheesh.

You all have got to realize that is the place where your bro's can be asking just anything, and it is ok to be making mistakes.
You all have to realize that this is the place where your bro's can ask anything and it is okay to make mistakes.

I hate the misuse of your for you're, such as, "So, your from California!"

Wait. Just how does one mispronounce "sufficient", "gauge" and "varying", not to mention "Toledo"? Acetylene... I can see someone stumbling over that, but not for a professional voice reading an audio book. Sheesh.

Sufficient: soo-fish-int
Gauge: gozh (rhymes with how you would correctly pronounce “gauze”)
Varying: vah-ree-ying
Toledo: as you would correctly pronounce the Spanish city, in Castilian.
Acetylene: ace-til-een

It would appear that the gentleman also speaks Spanish, but 95% of the words would lead you to believe that he is a native English speaker.

Braeden P said:

You all have got to realize that THIS is the place where your bro's can be asking just anything, and it is its ok to be making mistakes.
Done.
Except you used the possessive "its" for "it is" instead of the contraction "it's". If we're gonna correct people's grammar, let's do it gud. ;)

Tom

Back to the OP, I try to go back and look at my H-M posts hours later. I usually find typos or voice control mistakes.

I feel badly about not having known that today is National Grammar Day. But now I feel goodly.

LOL. There are at least a dozen threads on here about words that people misspell or grind our individual gears.

My pet peeve, especially on this site, is scrape vs. scrap. It is so easy to innocently make this mistake yet it reads as if a jumbo jet liner is flying through your monitor directly at you when it happens. Scrapping a part has an entirely different meaning when what you really meant was that you were hand scraping a square to a specified flatness.

I dunno... I think if I tried to 'scrape' something to a specified tolerance, the two words would quickly have the same meaning...

-Bear

I hate the misuse of your for you're, such as, "So, your from California!"
I dislike that one too. But I really hate the use of "seen" without a helper verb like have, has, or had. For me, it's the verbal equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard.
John

What's next "National Lawn Chair Day"

Back