National Grammar Day

Thank you for bringing this to our attention Braeden.

I am no expert but I am sometimes appalled at the use of gonna, wanna, prolly, coudda, and many other terms that just show lazy spelling skills and reflect poorly on our education system.

The one that gets me is vise vs. vice. Used wrong here all of the time, but what's the diff? We all understand the meaning. When the sh*t hits the fan at the factory and a machinist is needed to fix something, no one cares if he got turrable gramma, just how fast he gets the line running agin.

Bruce

I am no expert but I am sometimes appalled at the use of gonna, wanna, prolly, coudda, and many other terms that just show lazy spelling skills and reflect poorly on our education system.

My partner is an English prof.
I have all the expert advice a person could ever want.

This doesn’t have anything to do with grammar but it’s interesting:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteesr are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by istlef but the wrod as a wlohe.

A little off topic, but I am currently listening to an audiobook on welding & cutting. The native-speaker narrator mispronounces “acetylene”, “sufficient”, “gauge” and “varying” every time. The mispronunciations make it hard to concentrate on what I’m trying to learn. You would think that he would have at least gotten it straight in how to pronounce acetylene before recording the audiobook.

606FB649-D5B7-4CB4-B786-C6A9059BB136.png

EDIT: Now he just mispronounced Toledo, so I guess this is just going to continue.

Entirely agreed. There are times when it just does not matter, because we can easily accommodate cultural differences. There was once a determined attempt to rework the spelling of nearly everything, and it was not because Theodore (Teddy ) was a bit in a mess with school spelling. HM folk don't mind when I spell color as colour, or sulfur as sulphur. Some of my phrasing can be a bit quaint, though not archaic, because of my colonial childhood. I don't use "thee" and "thou" as my Father might have, and he was not even a Quaker!

If anything gets me, it is gross smartphone Twitterspell, encouraged by the 140 character limit. Using "2" in place of "two", or seeing "get stuff 4U" !

Here is a good place to put Weird Al's "Word Crimes", even if you were never a fan of Robin Thicke

[Edit: I confess bias. I have never "tweeted", nor indulged Facebook. The only way I could eject these life profile surveillance pests, and other apparently non-deletable apps was to get root access to the HTC phone and install LineageOS ].

Last edited:
LOL. There are at least a dozen threads on here about words that people misspell or grind our individual gears.

My pet peeve, especially on this site, is scrape vs. scrap. It is so easy to innocently make this mistake yet it reads as if a jumbo jet liner is flying through your monitor directly at you when it happens. Scrapping a part has an entirely different meaning when what you really meant was that you were hand scraping a square to a specified flatness.

Back