Neat little files

Found this on Ebay. The sharp edge is around a 0.030" radius so they are too blunt to cut checkering.

Screenshot_20230816_160929_eBay.jpg

Pretty cool! I see it's a Grobet - so good quality, and you could probably check their site for handles if you don't feel like making something.

GsT

Only time I've ever seen a file like that, it was in a handle like this:

61277eQ+2WL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Pretty cool! I see it's a Grobet - so good quality, and you could probably check their site for handles if you don't feel like making something.

GsT
It does have a similar profile to some gravers.

@Batmanacw What are the dimensions?

I like my Grobert's I have 2 sets, and some loose files.
I have never heard of retouching knives. Will see if I can find some info on what they are used for. The profile that they have is different.

About 3" cutting length.
A little larger than my gravers:

IMG_5764_Radiant_Photo.jpegI

The “handle end” is 2.4mm thick by 6.2mm wide; the hole in the handle is 3.6mm x 6.6mm. I got the handles (& gravers) from Contenti; they also have plain wooden handles that you drive onto the gravers, pretty much one time use.

Im thinking that is a die makers/mold makers riffler file.

It’s not meant to have a handle.
I politely disagree: although the tang is rectangular, it would be easier to control with a handle; the tang is only about 1-1/2" long if the cutting length is 3". Rifflers have a small head and long handle, and are typically double-ended:

Riffler.jpg

or

Trade No 1.jpg

Needle files can be used without a separate handle, but work much better with a handle.

Back