Nedd a little help ( Questions)

Watch this from 8:30 on
They are nice pallets for moving machinery.. he made them himself. I think they have the advantage of catching all the fluids too.

I know he had a better view of his big machines on those, but I can't find the video.
I recommend un coated wheels hard wheels are easier to move, and my dealings with poly coated is not good, over time they break down, and the price is $$$$$. just my opinion.. and you know what they say about opinions.

Last edited:
Watch this from 8:30 on
They are nice pallets for moving machinery.. he made them himself. I think they have the advantage of catching all the fluids too.

I know he had a better view of his big machines on those, but I can't find the video.
I recommend un coated wheels hard wheels are easier to move, and my dealings with poly coated is not good, over time they break down, and the price is $$$$$. just my opinion.. and you know what they say about opinions.
I agree. I had what I thought was a quality set on my 2T engine hoist. They were good for a year or so before they started failing. I use it quite a bit.

My vote is for the pallet jack. The #5000 version seems to work well up to about 3000 pounds. Perhaps it is theoretically good for 5000, but 3000 feels like a heavy load for the cheapy one I have (says it is good for 5000).

I'm guessing, that for various reasons - you won't be moving the mill on a regular basis - putting time and $$ into a rolling base seems a waste if you only move it a few times a year (especially if there are other good options).

Thanks for responding everyone.
So far it looks like

1 wheels....800 lbs or more 6" diam
2. Jackscrews 3/4 or above.

Anymore thoughts or ideas?

Not sure what a BP weighs, guessing about 2000 lbs? I'd want each wheel to be rated for 1/2 the machine weight minimum. On a slightly uneven surface, it is not hard for all of the weight to be resting on two diagonally opposite wheels. So for a 2000 lb machine, I'd want 1000lb min wheels. The red urethane wheels also tend to take a set flat spot when left with a load on them too long in one position, so beware of that.

I prefer the two swiveling casters and two straight wheels unless you absolutely need the extra flexibility. Swiveling casters have to rotate 180 degrees when you switch direction. That makes them challenging to manage for heavy loads as things want to go off in random directions until they orient to match the direction you are pushing. Trivial for light things, challenging when dealing with heavier loads.

I actually bought a set of those and put them on a barrel rifling machine I bought.

They work well.

Anyone else need ideas here guys.
Not everyone has a barrel rifling machine.
I'd like to see how that works.
Do you have a way to show us a video while in use?

Not long ago I built a rolling base for my vertical bandsaw to be able to do exactly what you want to do with your mill. I debated whether to use two or four swiveling casters and finally opted to use just two because it is much easier to steer. I also built the base so the machine was very close to the floor for greater stability when moving. I also used four screws to jack it off of the casters and level it while the saw is stationary. The casters are 5" rated for about 1000 lbs each. Photo attached.
Ted

IMG_20201030_140159864_HDR.jpg

Haven't used barreling machine yet. It is one of my winter things. I am pretty old but my wife still has me on a very tight budget. Gun drill ( deep hole drills) run right at 300 to my door. Then a finish reamer is another 300. Then a cut rifler has to be made.

I've got the gun drill, waiting for delivery of the reamer and rifling head is done except for shaping the cutter and soldering to the body. I have everything else needed.

It has been a long journey for me that hopefully will come to fruition this winter. Where I live you have to have something to do in the winter or you'll go crazy.

Thanks guys, Talvare your roller is what I'm trying to do except I'm going to use 1/2 inch angle iron. Stuff is so expensive anymore....I have to save a lot, takes me awhile.

Can't thank you guys enough.....your help and information are invaluable.

Anyone else chime in

Back