Need a Arbor Repaired or Made

Stefen

Registered
Registered
Hey guys,

I have an arbor that needs either repaired or re-made. It's for a 1950's Delta/Rockwell Table saw. I have searched everywhere for a replacement to no avail. Unfortunately, my old 10" Atlas lathe is still being rebuilt and I'm also not confident in my ability yet.

Cool Back story on the Table Saw is it came from the lumber mill that built West Virginia Tech and the surrounding towns of Montgomery and Smithers WV. It’s nice to keep history in use.

Sometime during its life the set screw for the pulley came out and what I'm assuming to keep production going is they plugged welded the set screw hole, thus welding the key and the pulley to the arbor shaft. So, In the middle of rebuilding it and trying to replace the arbor bearings the pulley had to be cut damaging the arbor.

I’d like to have the damaged area welded turned and key way cut or if you guys think I should just have a new one made?

Could someone give me a price to do the repair or make a new one.?

thanks in advance,

Stefen

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 243
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    422 KB · Views: 225
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 221
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 219
Welding it is going to warp it, no possibility not. Forget that, have one made. somehone here could easily make eone. . If someone volunteers, send them your old arbor, it will avoid making a correct drawing.

Welding it is going to warp it, no possibility not. Forget that, have one made. somehone here could easily make eone. . If someone volunteers, send them your old arbor, it will avoid making a correct drawing.

I figured the same. I was planning on sending whomever I found to make a new one the original so they could use it for reference.

Hi @Stefen, have you reached out to the Old Woodworking Machines group?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @Stefen ,
a couple repair methods come to mind...

weld up the gash and cut the keyway as you illustrated previously and turn between centers, re-cut keyway

or

cut off the affected area, drill and tap for an all-thread stud, turn an new end piece and install.
turn between centers to size, cut keyway

There are new arbors available for some Unisaws, not sure how much variation there is in the designs.
Contractor level saws are probably different.

See:

Hi @Stefen ,
a couple repair methods come to mind...

weld up the gash and cut the keyway as you illustrated previously and turn between centers, re-cut keyway

or

cut off the affected area, drill and tap for an all-thread stud, turn an new end piece and install.
turn between centers to size, cut keyway
[/QU
There are new arbors available for some Unisaws, not sure how much variation there is in the designs.
Contractor level saws are probably different.

See:
I have looked at a few variations, but I can't find enough technical data to compare for measurements.

Best bet is just machine a new one. Contact a few job shops for bids and pick one if they are in the ball park.Shouldn't be a hard item to make.

If you have a bit of time to wait (I'm just a part time hobbiest), send me the part, the nuts, and some materials, and I'll do it for you.

If the flange is a separate piece, it should be pretty cheap/easy on both accounts. I might consider making it in 2 parts and using 609 anyway :)

Not sure what you want to make it out of, but I'd probably suggest 4140 or 303 stainless.

Back