Need a Manual!

Glad I did not buy their cable the MN400 has a M2- Limit Error (I will try and fix it) But, From my customer contact/support experience with Microkinetics I am going with the breakout board and either Mach3 or Linuxcnc even if I fix the MN400.

Please keep us posted. Sounds like a fun project. Can you tie all of the limit inputs to GND or +V and get a state change? It may not like a floating input.

No the Microkinetics Turnmaster Pro software is rather limited on the config you cannot change anything really! Cannot add a 3rd axis, tell it what motor to use for what axis, etc. I am so glad I got the system very very cheap!

I am going to Debug the MN400 controller board with a Jtag and Boundary Scan to find out why the limit pin is in error. I already checked the passive components they looked good.

I used to be an EE about 10-12 years ago or so. I stopped being an EE when became a commercial pilot so having to refresh my knowledge a bit! Lots of changes in the tech in 10 + years but the basics are coming back.

Here is a link to the Microkinetics CNC Lathe 1236 Retrofit Instructions Just Incase anyone is looking for a copy to see how the retrofit is done very poorly written in my opinion.

I'm with you on not buying a 70 dollar cable when you can make one for about three bucks. I have a selection of connectors and cable termination connectors so I just make what I need from 40 or 21 wire ribbon cable and call it good. Once I started making my own cables I found out just how cheap it can be done and boy was I ****** after buying "proprietary" cables for so long!!!!

Bob

Yea, I got a brand new 15' AMP cable with 2 HD50M amp connectors for $5.00 on ebay only needed 1 connector so the other is now in a misc box it may sit there for 10 years before it is used who knows!

Since the MN400 Controller Board has an issue with the M2- Limit circuit it is junk to me right now as their Turnmaster Pro Software cannot configure it for the Z axis to use Motor 3 or 4 outputs on the controller it is locked to talk to M2 out on the controller. (Poorly Written Software No Configuration Ability)

Microkinetics support initially offered to exchange the bad board for a working board (Courtesy) then "backed out of their exchange offer about an hour or so after I sent them my shipping address" And told me it would be $147.50 to have this board repaired! (Based on the symptoms, it seems like it's repairable.) no real Guarantee of a repair!

From the build quality of the board I can see why it has issues! For a fraction of $147.50 I can buy a Cheap Breakout board and be able to run software with way more control and features "LinuxCNC or Mach3" and it has a large support base that you dont have to deal with the Arrogance (Being Polite) of Microkinetics and pay $150.00 for their so called Engineering Support to get any technical assistance. + pay another $150.00 to Register Ownership with them of the kit.

I was going to buy their VFD and their Proprietary Cable (Built mine to just test the electronics) but the way they handle their customer support and think everything is an engineering issue and when you have a valid question like I did on thread direction of a Pulley that I asked because I seen a note in the instructions about over tightening the X axis pulley and damaging a bearing!

They reply back "The pulley is threaded. Right hand thread so you tighten and loosen it like you normally tighten a screw. (Righty tighty, lefty loosy)."

I think i know (Righty tighty, lefty loosy)! I am not an Iddiot!

Also the quality of the Retrofit Parts is very subpar for a so called bolt on kit! Even if the kit and lathe are 11 Years old the fit of the parts back then should have been better! Holes dont line up, factory covers dont fit, etc. I am glad I did not pay retail I would have been super P.O. but I got it for a good price so I can deal with fixing the issues replacing the controller etc! I know to avoid dealing with Microkinetics! Their customer support and attitude towards Indirect Customers/Consumers and Potential new Customers is very poor for sure!

Photo Of the MN400 Control Board. Nice of them to add the Headers for Debugging!
Microkinetics MN400 Board.jpg

Microkinetics MN400 Board.jpg

Back