Need Advice for drilling into marble tile

Cr2348455

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,
I need to drill a couple holes into marble tile 1/4” thick.
I am mounting a vanity in the bathroom with plastic anchors and #8 screws. The tiles are attached to wonderboard or cement board.
19/64” is needed for the diameter of the hole and a masonry bit did not do too much.
I would like to find this size in diamond tipped, but have not found online.
Any advice appreciated,
J

Last edited:
I bought a bit at Home Depot that was made for drilling tile... it worked very well. I don't remember the size or cost, but it was reasonable.

I used it on ceramic tile... never tried marble, so I may not be helping you with that.

-Bear

I used Milwaukee (i think) hole saw that specifically listed stone to drill through granite. After using a diamond coated hole saw that I'd previously used on ceramic tile, but the granite burnt it up.

Nothing really useful to say here, but. . . Ceramic tile is in the same class as glass, as to hardness. Natural stone is a whole 'nuther matter. If it was me, I would buy the best diamond drill I could find. It may, or may not, be usable afterwards. But for power drilling, that's what it will take. I would go a fuzz oversize on the hole. You are calling for a "19/64" hole. That's a snake hair under 5/8. I would go at least 11/16 and use as much caulk as needed. Pipe OD is a "nominal" measurement and what you use may or may not match what you measired. Electrical boxes use that size for a reason. Old switchgear was mounted on slates. I have used diamond drills to cut holes there.

There are alternatives that are a lot more work and take a long time, but will work quite well, A piece of copper pipe in a sand slurry will cut stone. Best wear gloves while doing it though. The sand does the cutting, the tubing or pipe is just a guide. Fine sand, not the "sandbox" or masonry grade so readily available. I have been told that a rubber hose with a dowel inside will work. But I've never tried it, no guts I guess. A "bow drill" would pay dividends here. The direction is irrelevant, it will cut both directions. It will be hard to get started, but once a groove is cut, it goes smoothly.

I'd reconsider using those plastic anchors in backer board. The best would be solid blocking and screws but it sounds like we're past that point. Next best would be an expanding molly bolt or a toggle bolt. Marble is a very soft natural stone, any of the diamond or carbide grit hole saws shouldn't have a problem cutting it. Slowish speed and keep it wet, drilling through a wet sponge works well and keeps the mess to a minimum!
Best of luck

1625398715233.pngUse a glass and tile bit at any Home Depot/Lowes/Building Centre. Go slow speed with water for lubrication.
Is this a vanity cabinet? Or a wall hung Vanity? If its wall hung , you will need to remove tile and wall board and install wood blocking as stated above. Plastic anchors will work very well with as long as you don't over tighten. I always put a couple dollups of silicone sealant on the back of what ever I am fixing to tile or granite, or solid surface
Cheers
Martin

Last edited:
1/4" tile could be tricky. Too much pressure could break the tile. If possible, try a few pieces of scrap first to get the procedure down.

Carbide should work. Michelangelo used steel tools to carve his statues. I find it helps to dress the cutting edge of the drills with a diamond hone. Drilling a pilot hole first will also help as the web of the drill relies on pressure to push it way through. Were it thicker material, a hammer drill would work but I think 1/4" is too thin and would risk breaking.

Home Depot sells 5/16" diamond drills.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on plastic anchors to fix a vanity. Preferred, would be to locate a stud or studs and screw into the stud. Second best would be to use one of the metal expanding anchor types.

The Bosch glass and tile bits work great- they look like the ones in post #7 but without the hex shank
I used a 3/16" size which was perfect for #8 screws- SKU number is 00346 37225
They take almost no pressure to go thru ceramic tile, fast too only a few seconds
They start slowing down after a half dozen holes as they begin to dull
-Mark

Thanks to all,
Sounds like my best option is a 5/16” diamond bit for the size of the anchor which is 19/64”, with a
#8 screw.
I am replacing the same vanity which is surface mounted.
Home Depot sells it, but 6 years later , they made it slightly smaller or shorter so the holes in the marble tile wall no longer line up for the two top brackets.
The vanity sits on a metal channel secured to the wall, which I was able to use and no need to replace it.
The screws and anchors have held the surface mounted vanity for 6 years no problem.
Thanks again

Back