Need Advice for drilling into marble tile

I'd want to know if its' really marble. Thats' soft relative to ceramic tile. A regular, high speed drill, (run slow) should walk right through it. Marble's just purified limestone.

I'd want to know if its' really marble. Thats' soft relative to ceramic tile. A regular, high speed drill, (run slow) should walk right through it. Marble's just purified limestone.
Absolutely correct.
I found a sharp drill with side roughing ability and just kept widening the hole till it fit the anchor.
Worked great, turned the marble to dust.
Thanks

Diamond grit hole saws work really well on glass, ceramic tile and stone. The problem is that they walk all over the place when you are trying to start the hole. The trick is to drill a 5/16" guide hole in a 1/4" thick piece of plywood (or simular) and use it as a guide to get the hole saw started. Once you get a bite in the material you can remove the guide to make it easier to spray water on tp cool.

I have drilled lots of glass, ceramic tile and stone tile with no splitting using diamond hole saws without any cracking. You will also want to keep the hole being drilled cool by squirting water on it. If the hole gets too hot you will have a local expansion of the material which will then cause a crack. A puddle of water or squirting water from a spay bottle is enough to keep the bit and material cool.

1. You don't need diamond tools to drill through marble tile, as it is very soft, a regular carbide drill will do just fine. Don't use a hammer drill, it may crack the tile.
2. 5/16' sounds way too big for a #8 screw anchor 3/16"- 1/4" is more like it.
3. If the vanity cabinet sits on the floor you don't need to screw to the wall. You can secure it with silicone caulk, a little bead below the back of the top edge and a little dollop under the feet or the bottom of the sides.

I want to specifically apologize for my mis-reading, at least 6 times, the original post. In machine work, drill size to 1/64 inch is common enough, for construction work in houses, 1/32 inch accuracy is more common. I kept reading 1/64th as 1/32nd. I guess I had something baking in the back of my mind. Any way, 5/16 inch is a better shot than 5/8ths.

Back