Need advice on a possible purchase of a Sheldon Vernon #0 Mill

CoopVA

Active User
Registered
A friend has one, and I'm interested in purchasing it. It is in very good condition with some tooling and a Hardinge 4" vise.

What would be a maximum you'd pay for one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

first let me say I am cheap... but here is my estimates
if it has the overarm and support, and the motor runs about 400
with a singe phase motor 450.
if it has a 3 slot table and power feed on the x-axis 500-550.
if it has the vertical head with everything else 800.

that's what I would pay here in ohio, tools would most likely be a bit more in VA (20-30% more maybe?).

sheldons are nice little millers ad pretty stout for the weight, i'd say get it.

A friend has one, and I'm interested in purchasing it. It is in very good condition with some tooling and a Hardinge 4" vise.

What would be a maximum you'd pay for one?

Here's some info on that Machine, assuming it is a vertical mill. http://www.lathes.co.uk/vernon/

There are quite a few drawbacks to this machine as you can see from the article. If everything is there and it is in good shape, and it must have a full set of collets, I wouldn't pay any more than $800 for it. Apparently the collets are impossible to find for this machine, which is a major drawback. The price must be right or pass IMO.

Thanks for the tips. It's the horizontal mill... It has a single phase motor and the power feed. He has a full set of collets and a Rusnok vertical head. It also comes with a Hardinge 4" vise and a nice X/Y vise that I'm going to use with my drill press. It's in very good shape and still seems to be coated in cosmoline.

He's a pretty good friend and is reluctant to part with it, which means I'll probably pay to much, but I really want it...

The rusnok head is a much sought after item, you would do very well to get it out of his place for under $1k.
Let us know how it turns out.

Will do. I offered him $950 and he didn't want to let it go for that... He's pondering his counter offer. I'll let y'all know how it ends.

well that a bummer, i wonder if he is scouring the nets for prices and finds this thread (cause i think 950 is a very good price, perhaps a bit high)

He might be. I don't know what he paid for everything. He's a good friend and I believe that he just wants to get back what he has in it... He also has a problem with letting things go... (Which I and most of us I'm sure can relate to...). I've got a limit in my mind as to how much I'm willing to spend. I will probably pay too much, but it is a well taken care of machine and it will help a brother out...

Back