Need advice on a possible purchase of a Sheldon Vernon #0 Mill

Many thanks to mattthemuppet for the awesome deal on end mills!

They came in yesterday...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415540336.447451.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415540336.447451.jpg

no, thank you for helping me justify future tooling purchases to the wife :) I'm glad they got there ok and hopefully we'll be seeing piles of chips in no time!

So today I decided to play with the Rusnok vertical head attachment...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416779256.507690.jpg

It looks like I need to get another pulley to put on the output shaft with a short belt.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416779401.037339.jpg

Does anyone have one of these set up that can post a picture of the drive side installed? I can find absolutely nothing about this head on the interwebs...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416779256.507690.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416779401.037339.jpg

That's excellent! Horizontal or vertical operation really adds flexibility to the mill, and it's hard to beat a sturdy horizontal mill for material removal rate.

Does that vertical head use a ring gear and pinion, or a helical gears running at 90 degrees?

That's excellent! Horizontal or vertical operation really adds flexibility to the mill, and it's hard to beat a sturdy horizontal mill for material removal rate.

Does that vertical head use a ring gear and pinion, or a helical gears running at 90 degrees?

Thanks! I'm not sure what the arrangement is. I've been unable to find any in depth information on it at all. I may disassemble it at some point, but not yet...

Last edited:
So, come to find out I am an idiot. I did have the back gear engaged. I did not get the direct drive engaged properly. After stewing about it all night, I am out in the shop...

I properly engaged the direct drive and obtained a speed range of about 120 to 560 rpm, which is pretty much exactly what the brochure shows with the low speed motor pulley installed. The high speed pulley would give me 225 to 1100.

With back gear engaged, I get a range of 25 to 120. The high speed pulley would be 40 to 200.

I think I'm good to go!

http://youtu.be/rezTLoukVCQ

Didn't have a crank handle for the mill vise, so I welded two 3/8" drive sockets together. Will be chucking it up in the lathe later today. Will smooth it out and then I may cold blue it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420375584.836466.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420375584.836466.jpg

Great score! I wish mine was as nice and complete.
I picked mine up for $100 though. No table feed assembly or over arm. Just a 3/4" end mill holder and draw bar. It runs well and variable speed works too. Belt has some memory issues so it shook a slight bit. After running it for some time it smoothed out but clearly needs new belts. I picked up a set of B&S #9 collets. Got a job to drill 5/16" hole in the ends of 130 9' long 1x2 tubes with 1/4" plate on the ends. If it wasn't on wheels I probably would of passed on it as I didn't even know if it ran. It has a 25' 10g 4 wire cord and is 3ph. Not much use for it at that time so being able to move it around out of the way was key for this type machine. I do have plans to cut some external splines for some prototype axles using the Ellis Dividing Head I picked up for $250 with full set of plates. Looking for a over arm arbor support for it.
It only has Vernon on the name plate and 3 T-Slots on table.
vernon H mill.jpg

vernon H mill.jpg

Wow! Not a bad deal for $100! You might have to make the arbor support. I have not had any luck finding any arbors for it.

Back