Need general opinion of this set

Offering my "opinion" but everyone's needs/desires are different... I'll offer my strategy when it comes to stuff like this.

I have several different indicators in different ranges of +/- 5 thou (reads in tenths), +/- 15 thou (reads in thous) and 1" (reads in thous). I have several of each; all imports most costing about 35 bucks each. Each came with a couple swivel connectors and maybe a small connecting beam/bar. As time passed, I made various other beams, mostly out of scrap and drops, to suit different needs and I just toss the collection of beams in a pan on my shelf. Those $35 units have seen daily use for a few years and all are still working perfectly. I test them in various ways each time I bring-out the granite slab...

If one breaks or starts running poorly, I'll take it apart, learn how they work inside, save some little parts and throw the rest in the scrap pile. If you purchase a high end indicator, they can indeed be repaired but, postage to/fro will cost about what you pay to replace with a new one.

Long story short... For 120 bucks, you can get 3 functional units -and making beams is trivial.

Ray

Thanks Ray!
I was just looking around because I was going to replace that import you referred to, that I have, and started thinking. Thinking for me is dangerous and costly.
The other one hit the floor and hasn't been right since. I took it apart and played with it but it still isn't the same. Honestly it did work fine before so maybe I should go with your opinion and use the same thing like I was originally.
Couple other things that will get me to stay less expensive is I have a habit of dropping things and number two, and the most important, is my wife will shot me if I spend 3 times the money. :shotgun::faint:

Thanks again!

Have a great day!

Ed

Wheew... i'm glad you weren't upset about my response as some folks have alligience of epic magnitude when it comes to stuff like this...

There are times when high dollar name brands are the only way to go. If I were a sub-contractor for a DoD project, I'd get laughed out the door if bid for a job and the onsite inspector saw me using "cheapo" tools and indicators. This isn't the case for home-shops and all 6 or 7 of my "cheapo" units have served me faithfully over time. I try to only comment on things that are relavent to home-shop environments as that's all I'm qualified to talk about really so, I didn't answer your question about that particular indicator but rather, passed on my home-shop oriented thoughts -and I'm glad you didn't get ticked off.

Ray

No problem...I did ask for opinions. :thumbsup:

Been doin this for 30 years. LMS has "interapid type" indicators for a good price. Way more versatile. Real interapids" are quite pricey. Don't care what Starett says, they ARE the "last word".

I have both the cheap $35. as well as a few upper end such as Best Test, by B & S. I have found that the cheap one has some side to side play which has been a problem. I have some other old made in America indicators that I use all of the time. It does depend on what you are doing and how accurate you are trying to get, but I tend to treat everything as being important so I use the best unit available. If I didn't have them than things would be different. Oh, the only test indicator that I have bought is the cheap one the rest were either given to me on came in tool boxes I purchased, I think I have 5 test indicators.

In terms of dial indicators I have a number of HF (maybe 4) that have worked out well. I also have the more expensive dial indicators that I also use from time to time.

So I guess what I am saying is if all you have is the cheap ones then use them. If you feel you need the better units than by all means get one or more. You can always save the expensive indicators for the jobs requiring more accuracy. The choice is yours.

I used Interapid to make a living for thirty five years. I still have the first one that I bought and still use it. They are a bit pricey around 180.00 from Enco but well worth it,
in my humble opinion.

frankie

The Interapid indicators are nice, but they are a touch fragile.

Personally, I like the Brown & Sharpe or Tesa indicators with the dovetail mounts. Good, sturdy and accurate. The dovetail mounts are more versatile than the mount on that Mitutoyo. Look for the 5 series B&S.

Well one thing is very true, my indicator fluctuated big time when the tip is wiggled side to side. It did not act this extreme when new but since I dropped it :yikes: it has never been the same. I did try and fix it but no success.
So after all input I received I decided for my needs as a new hobbyist I would just by an another cheap on. Hopefully this will serve me well but at least I will not loose much when I drop it again which I have no doubt I will.

Thanks everyone!

Have a great day!

Ed

Back