Need general opinion of this set

Ed,

That a good quality mid-priced indicator, and a good value. The inexpensive imports might be a better choice for the home shop if you were looking for a dial indicator, but for a dial test indicator I would suggest you get the best you can afford. A dial test indicator like this is a delicate instrument and the cheap ones can be unreliable. If an indicator sticks, you won't know if it's giving you a true reading or not, which make it worse than worthless. I've worn out Enco's and Mitutoyo's, but still have and use all the Interapid's I've ever purchased. Also, the better indicators like Interapid are much tougher than the cheapies. I once saw one launched across the shop when the spindle in a mill was turned on with the indicator in it. The poor thing smashed against a wall, but came out totally unscathed. Try that with a cheap import. :yikes:

Tom

Actually what I bought was not a dial test indicator but a regular dial indicator. I am still considering a new test indicator in time but for now the regular indicator will suit my needs. I made different holders to do the job with this indicator and it will work for now. The test indicator would be nice but have not really decided what to do. Money, money, money. Wife? :shotgun:
We have a indicator in the shop but after dropping my test indicator my son won't let me near his. Can't blame him. :))

Hav e a great day!
Ed

Personally, I would go for at least a 0.5 thousandths DTI. For things in the 1 thousands range, I just use a cheapo dial indicator ($10 on sale at HF). I spent a little more for a decent DTI (Starret Last Word). I love it. I know some folks rave about the Interrapids; at some point I will get a tenths indicator, and maybe then I will go for an Interrapid.

The Last Word set I have has basically the same stuff as the kit you linked, it's a 1/2 thousandths indicator, and was about$130 IIRC (about 2 years ago).

I'm in the "buy a good one once" camp. The Last Word is a good indicator and very versatile; I own one and like it but I much prefer the Compac 214GA. Its a 0.0005" indicator, tough as nails and is very accurate and consistent. They come up on ebay from time to time and generally go for about $50-70.00 in good condition. My Compac has been going for 20 years and is as reliable as the day I got it - not sure a HF can do that.

Mitutoyo DI's are very, very good but I don't own one of their DTI's so cannot attest.

I am going to back the truck up here and be stupid. I am real new to machining. What are the two, dial indicator and test dial indicator, really used for. I guess what I am really asking is what are the situations you would use one over other.
Boy I hope I didn't open a question that is going to make me look really dumb. :shrugs::shrugs:

Have a great day!

Ed

I need a new test indicator for minimill and I was curious of the general opinion of this set Mitutoyo 513-528T. http://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-513-...61456653&sr=1-32&keywords=dial+test+indicator

Thanks!

Ed
i may be muttering words that have been muttered before, but it depends on the type of work you are needing the instrument for.
you will never go wrong in buying quality.
but for instance, you were to break out your high end indicator to do a run of the mill turning, and you drop and break it.
it's worth way more than any simple turning that didn't need to be to the gnats @ss in the first place, but an expensive indicator was lost in the process... or with the simple turning that didn't need to be to the gnats' @ss, you get your import indicator and drop it,it totally gets messed up, a cheap indicator gets lost in the process, no big deal.
my answer is to have both...
a cheapie for normal abuse when tolerances aren't critical
a quality built precision instrument for when the tolerances are critical.

my favorite pet indicator is an antique federal .0005", but she doesn't see much action.
the starrett last word sees most of the action for my level of work when accuracy is concerned.
but for day to day abuse i use the shars' .001" 1" dial and don't feel bad about dropping it.
the funny part is , i treat the cheapie like it's expensive and haven't dropped it once.
i don't know how...
mike:))

Dial indicators are more linear, but less accurate. They have more travel than a DTI. Typically they read to the thousandths, and have travel of 1", but I have seen 2", and I think 3" travel ones.

Dial test indicators tend to be more accurate, but have much smaller ranges. They are not as linear (because the arm swings, changing the lever arm, rather than a plunger). They are usually used for very precision work. They tend to be more expensive. I have both, and both get used, but I got by with a cheap grizzly dial indicator for years.

I am going to back the truck up here and be stupid. I am real new to machining. What are the two, dial indicator and test dial indicator, really used for. I guess what I am really asking is what are the situations you would use one over other.
Boy I hope I didn't open a question that is going to make me look really dumb. :shrugs::shrugs:

Have a great day!

Ed

The only dumb question Ed is the one that's not asked.

A dial indicator has a longer range and is commonly used to directly measure a move like with a carriage on the lathe. With a dial indicator, you can face the end of a part, zero the dial on the indicator and move over an inch or two or three to machine a shoulder. A dial test indicator will have less travel and is used to measure relative run-out when centering a part in a four jaw chuck or aligning a milling vise parallel to the table. A dial test indicator, or a dial indicator for that matter can also be use as to compare a feature on a part to a known standard, such as a stack of gauge blocks on a surface plate.

Tom

Ed, one of the best sites for learning about these tools is the Long Island Indicator Service website. It will list most common tools available on the market and give you the pros and cons of each. I am not recommending you buy from them unless you have money to burn but if you do deal with them you will find them to be honest and of very high integrity. They'll even tell you that for the shop floor or rough shop use a "disposable" indicator is okay. I interpret that to mean a Chinese indicator.

As DMS said, DI's are used for linear measurements. An example of this would be centering a work piece in the 4-jaw chuck. DTI's are used mainly for checking alignment, such as squaring a vise to run parallel with the X-axis on your mill. There are numerous variations when each is used and eventually most of us wind up with at least one of each kind.

How much accuracy you need is up to you. In a home shop a 0.001" DI and/or DTI is fine for most jobs. If you find you need more resolution then you can step up to those reading finer.

My advice is to find out which instrument you want and find it on ebay for a fraction of its retail price.

Good luck!

Mikey

Well one thing is very true, my indicator fluctuated big time when the tip is wiggled side to side. It did not act this extreme when new but since I dropped it :yikes: it has never been the same. I did try and fix it but no success.
So after all input I received I decided for my needs as a new hobbyist I would just by an another cheap on. Hopefully this will serve me well but at least I will not loose much when I drop it again which I have no doubt I will.

Thanks everyone!

Have a great day!

Ed

What brand and model# is the one you dropped? I may be able to help.

Back