Need help- Given some CNC stuff and I have NO clue

And on to the VEXTA!

So these are the specs I have found: my steppers are the BOTTOM LINE on the chart below (PH2610-E2.9)
Vexta Spec.JPGVexta Spec2.JPGVexta Spec3.JPGVexta Spec.JPGVexta Spec2.JPGVexta Spec3.JPG

So the big question here is this: WHAT is Unipolar vs BiPolar and whats the Amp/phase difference? (This is the last line on the chart as well)

Is there a benefit to wiring the stepper in BiPolar configuration for my application?

Thanks for reading and hope this Sunday finds you and your families safe, well and in good spirits! Im posting while the kiddo and wife nap before heading out to play!

I appreciate the help and the direction as well!

Now for the surprise of the day... TAMAGAWA WROTE BACK!

Now I'm as confused as ever... e-v-e-r... this is wierd. Here is a picture of the servo plate I have:
Tamagawa PLATE.JPG HMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm..... Clearly it says AC

Now kids- get ready... here's the data sheet:
TamaPicSpec1.JPG
Hard to read- but the Type # of the servo is same- But check out the highlighted portion- BRUSHLESS DC SERVOMOTOR

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAARRrrrrrrgh!:eek:

If I wasn't confused before- I am now!

So dear intrepid readers... Can I test this motor with DC and if it fails assume its AC?
(By the way- I have the schematics and encoder info in .pdf form so although it is hard to read in the pic it is actually pretty clear on the file)

Here is the ENCODER Info for the Tamagawa as well...
TamaEncoder.JPG

So what info is important off this sheet.... What do I need to START learning with here?

A lot to process I know- and I appreciate the help and assistance from everyone- even the folks who read and dont comment- hopefully along the path I will get to a point the silent masses can weigh in on... maybe paint colors or curtain ideas? HA! Seriously- thanks folks!

Until then- the struggle is real and the learning continues- the ELCOM guys are the last buggers of the bunch I have NO data on. Time to keep digging!

Till then hope all is well and the weekend treated all with springtime colors! It rained here Saturday- but the trampoline park was Awesome with the family and friends!

Hello folks! So I have a question for the collective about the SERVO MOTORS in the bunch... could the Servo be put to use in a small sensitive drill press build?

In my reading (and please correct e if I am wrong!) I am finding these guys to be perfect for sensitive operation wiith higher torque and better motor efficiency- not constant on (or as Jim and Spumco pointed out when balanced not twitchy)

Here is why I am asking:
1- Reading you can over-run the RPM for brief periods(dont even know how yet- or IF this is possible?)

2- the torque is fairly constant along the RPM curve and with a sensitive press in my world it would only be doing brass, sterling and fine silver, wax, aluminum and some woods for knife, jewelry and clock parts

3- the size of the press lends itself to a higher degree of precision as well as adaptability to an already crowded bench

I am still trying to find out the best way to process where to start on the steppers too by the way- if anyone has any insight I would appreciate it. Found the power supply and the 72v 8A constant power supply for the build arrived as well... we are moving from the ok- Ive got them... into the "lets power SOMETHING up" phase... baby steps I know- but Im having a good run on information now that things have moved a bit!

As well- Please refer to the TAMAGAWA Post above- still trying to puzzle that one on the AC on the label versus the DC on the spec sheet... Any thoughts? Anyone... (crickets in the distance) Anyone...?

WEEKLY UPDATE.... Got cable for the Galil, power cords, power supply for testing... and reached out to a local mechatronics instructor at a high school relatively close to me for some help as well. Figured Im about the "Junior HS Student" level of understanding for now...

Oddly enough I spent less than 20 bucks for all the connectors and ribbon for the control- The Galil site sells them at a price point WAY above this... Im beginning to like this journey of a build...

Reason I bring it up is My price point for a turnkey CNC would be approx 2500 USD. Not including software (yet another journey)... So All total Im into this build about 120 dollars so far (and finding out I over bought on the breadboard to boot!) SO as long as I dont go over this limit Im coming out positive cash, and super positive on knowledge!

As for the sensitive drill press- this may be a go once my understanding of things moves up from "Crayola" ranking to "fingerpainting"... At least I am trying to keep the little guys in mind for other projects as well.

I did a foolish thing though- I will confess... I did buy several Learn Electronics books- now Im in info-overload and analysis paralysis- I need to get back to the motors!

Stay tuned- The strawberries are blooming- fresh jam for the toast is coming up! Hope you guys are doing well and getting mobile in the springtime temps!

Silver: A brushless DC motor is similar to an AC 3 phase motor- I know it's confusing. Try to absorb as much electronics as you can
without making your head explode. You may find it interesting. ;)
Mark

Thanks Mark- Appreciate the Word O' Wisdom... I will keep that in mind.

I think I missed a few "Basic Boy 101 Knowledge" lectures somewhere along the way... HA! Keep reading and get a chuckle as I go down the rabbit hole!

For me, when I learned what Ohm's law was all about, a lot of the pieces started to fall into place...
M

Update of the week... Nothing has changed in the saga... learning was put on hold to:

1- put in a garden... gotta eat- the pole beans were crawling out of the seed plugs and almost root-bound!
2- attend a friends wedding- Beautiful and awesome. I wish you kids well (great venue on the river out in the country)
3- CLEAN.... THE.... GARAGE... OK- So I pulled the rear wall down, rewired a 220 outlet for my (new to me) Boyar-Schultz SG... it will need some love and attention as well before running at capacity (I have a trend it would seem of getting tools I can't use yet!)
4- try to close down a storage unit... this has been WAAAAAY overdue.
5- put a coat of paint on garage wall to cover my not so neat sheetrock job

On the home front- I did start playing with the breadboard... kind of fun to blow a few LEDs- I may just be starting to learn something!

Got the grapevine put in... totally NOT machining or electronics or CNC- but in a life kinda way... My backyard is like a host of friends. The blueberry bushes came from a friends house in NC, the Grapevine was a cutoff of my parents vine (That came from my grandfathers house), the Fig bush (attempt 3 at growing one) is from another mentor's home, and the pole beans are heirloom from my dads garden.

Back to work next week and the electronics learning continues!

One question folks- and if you are reading at this point good on ya!

QUESTION: Can anyone tell me anything about the discrepency between the Tamagawa paperwork and the motor label? (The whole DC/AC fiasco)

Be safe and as always- at peace

Back