Need Help Rebuilding or Scraping your Machine ? Please Ask

Mike, DH Mayeron is hosting another class in Oakland, sadly not at Jim Austins
again....that was a cool class being at a world class Blacksmiths shop. This time will be in a small machine shop. shoot me a email and lets talk. Maybe you can come to that class for a refresher or just come over on Sunday as DH wants to have another swap meet.

2 years ago I did one in Peter Rosses shop http://peterrossblacksmith.com/ and met Roy Underhill his best friend.http://www.woodwrightschool.com/

now that was cool class...:)

To Whom it may concern....lol I now have my DVD on Scraping transferred to a USB Flash Drive Stick. Shoot me a message and will tell you more info

Hi Richard, I have your video and have watched youtube videos of a bunch of your classes. I think I have the basic idea of how to scrape in dovetail ways. One thing that still perplexes me is how to measure the bottom of a lathe saddle to figure out where and what to scrape. It can be worn in several different directions and having one vway and one flatway, like a southbend, makes it more complicated. I presume you want to restore the relationship between the plane of the saddle ways and and the cross slide ways so the cross slide is perpendicular to the bed ways and runs truly horizontal. But I just can't visualize how to do it. What do you establish as your datum? How do you set it up on a surface plate? And direction welcome.

Scott

The flat portion where the carriage bolts to the bottom of the saddle is a factory surface. That is where you check to make sure the top of saddle flat ways are parallel or coplanar . You have to be a detective and turn the saddle up-side down and look for the worn and unworn areas.

Have you ever heard of the South Bend Ridge on the bedways? That is created by a low area on the saddle where it is clearance. That would be on the bottom of the V way (upside down remember) now look at the top of that V and you will see a unworn spot that you can depth mike that ridge to the worn area. You need to make a sketch and write down the numbers so you can figure out how much material is worn off the saddle.

One thing you have going for yourself when your rebuilding, you can follow the builders original scraping and geometry.

I scrape machine for the most part from bottom to top. So we are assuming you already scraped or had the bed ground and you are now match fitting the saddle to the bed. On a worn machine like a SD usually is I apply a wear strip on the bottom of the saddle to raise it back to the original center line. You had the bed ground or scraped and you know how much was removed to clean up the deepest wear.

On your sketch you have that written down. Then you measured the wear in the from the original unworn areas. Add those up.

Then apply plastic shim stocks or small shims of turcite under the worn areas, and slide the saddle back and forth indicating the surface we originally talked about and add more shim until it indicated parallel to the bed.

Under there is a keyway you can also use to measure to indicate to keep it moving in the same as the original travel . After we do the bottom we scrape the top parallel to the bed (we leave the headstock ends lightly higher) and coplanar to each other, then scrape the dovetails and use a square on the lathe bed or setting a blade square bottom against 2 dowel pins and then we push the saddle back and forth indication the blade of the square. we scrape the front dove so it is not perfectly square. Scrape it so when you face a part it cuts the part concave.

A couple of You Tube shows that were taken during a class shows this. I will add them in a bit.

Last edited:
Monarch EE lathe.
minute 6 or so is where the tests on saddle are.

Back