Need Help Replacing Bearings In Old Lathe

If there is no indicated movement in the spindle, I would first remove the oil cups and thoroughly clean and flush out the bearings with solvent and re-oil before disassembly to see if that corrects the issue. Mike

Good thought. Will Do. Thanks.

The parts breakdown does give the Atlas part number for the bearings needed, though. If they cannot be crossed to a stock bearing number or if Atlas doesn't have them in stock, the numbers on the bearings themselves should be able to be matched to current bearings. I hope this is helpful for you and not confusing things more.

Humm... Is Atlas still in business and what is their contact info... I can't find it.
Where would you recommend I go for a cross reference... all I have are the Atlas #'s which don't look like regular part #'s. i.e. 10a-11c.

Contact the Clausing service department / parts department. Clausing bought Atlas years ago and still stocks some of the parts for these lathes.

If they don't have to bearings, they will likely be able to tell you the real numbers that would be used in industry. Or disassemble the spindle to get to the bearings and get the numbers directly from them.

Here is their contact info

For parts and service, please contact the Clausing Service Center:

Parts Phone: (800) 323-0972
Fax: (269) 342-7888
email: info@clausingsc.com
Technical Service for non-CNC machines: Phone: (800) 323-0972
Fax: (269) 342-7888
email: info@clausingsc.com

I hear they are very nice to deal with. Good luck! :)

Thanks Randall... I just got off the phone with them this morning (3 hr time zone dif). They had both bearings in stock (10A-11C) $305.72 & (10A-9C) $712.24. My Owner has wanted an excuse to buy a wood doweling machine for years... I think this would qualify.

I'll try FOMOGO's suggestion, and as long as there is no head play... keep those bearings well lubed, wear good sound muffs, and wait until conditions are right for a new machine, (or pick up a Gear head off eBay). We only use it for about 4 hours a month.

Many thanks to all.
Marv...

Yeah...sounds like a good excuse to me! I had no idea they were that pricey. Might still pay to pull the spindle next time the machine finishes its 4 hours work and check the bearing numbers to see if they can be had for reasonable money elsewhere. Just a thought...I don't know. Anyway, have a great weekend! :D

There is an ATLAS Specific Forum Folder on this site.
You should check it out lots of great information there.

Your Lathe is a Model 10F.
The Early Version 10D's had Bushing not Bearings.

They came in 36", 42" & 54" Bed lengths.
The actual Model Tag would be riveted to the End of the Bed opposite of the Headstock.
It should have an Identification of TV ## or TH ##:
where T Stands for Timken Bearings,
V/H for Vertical or Horizontal Countershaft and
## = Bed Length)

Based on the Belt Cover your is a TH Horizontal version where the Motor Mounts to the Rear Side of the Left Leg on a Triangular Mount Bracket.
These brackets are often missing and the motor is simply bolted to the bench behind the Headstock.

I have the same lathe. There are several posts about replacing the bearings. The Atlas/Clausing Prices for bearings are NOT in line with the market.
You can find the correct bearings at McMaster Carr &/or Graingers for 20% of what they are asking.

Unless they are making noise or run rough, I would adjust the END PLAY in the headstock to see if that's all that is required.
It's best to start with the MFG's General Maintenance procedures and that is one of them that should be checked and adjusted periodically.

Also the OIL Cups "SHOULD" Have a FELT Wick that absorbs the Oil then Drips the Oil down into the bearings. So it doesn't just all run thru at once.

There are copies of the MOLO (Manual of Lathe Operation) a Atlas lathe specific manual out there on the Internet that you can download.
You REALLY Need to acquire a copy. It will be your bible for this lathe.

If you do end up replacing the bearings. There is a STICKY Post in the ATLAS Folder that is recording Serial Numbers from the Data Plates and comparing with the dates engraved on the bearing.

Check out my youtube videos, I have some on replacing bearings for an atlas 10f. It's not hard.

Those prices would buy very high class bearings far beyond what the original Atlas had. Try locating a bearing company that sells bearings. Tell them the numbers on your bearings and get a quote. Those prices are stupidly high.

I had an Atlas as my first lathe. It just used Timken tapered roller bearings.

Back