Need Help To Determine Best Way To Hang Ext. Ladder

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
hi everyone,
I know this is a pretty basic question, I would really like to know the safest way to secure a 12' ext. Ladder to the ceiling rafters of a 10' by 14' wooden shed.
It is a lean two, so , the high side is about 10'.
Thanks for any advice in advance. Ome

Try bicycle hooks. It's just a large hook that screws in. Drill the rafter or joist first. Hope that helps. Al

Reactions: ome
The way I always do it is to take 3 pieces of wood and make a U like an up-side-down goal post. Attach a pair of them to the ceiling joists about 11 feet apart and just slide the ladder in one end at a time. The ladder will lay flat against the bottom of the joists and have minimal impact on headroom.

Reactions: ome
Thank you Guys,
I appreciate the advise.
I am concerned the ladder may not hang high enough in our lean two shed to not be invthe way of our hammer strikes when forging invthe shed.
Ome

You asked about storing the ladder inside, so I might be a bit off base here...

I store both an extension ladder and a folder under the roof eaves of my garage (where the land slopes high enough that the roof is only about 4 feet above ground). Ran some large utility hooks (bicycle hooks?) into the rafter tails, and hook the ladders on. And just to "keep honest people honest," I use a chain (runs thru a 1" hole in another rafter tail) and padlock to keep them secure.

If your lean-to has enough roof overhang, and your ladder is aluminum, this might work for you.

I hang mine on the outside wall of the barn, on lag screws. If there's space on your 10'-high wall perhaps it could go there. The two lag screws would be as far apart as possible, so you can hang one end of the ladder on one, and then lift the ladder by the other end to hang that one. So you're only lifting half the weight at any given time.

Last edited:
I just hang mine on two 3" stainless deck screws I found in my scrap screw box. I also have a 12' ladder, it hardly weighs a thing, deck screws are plenty strong even with only about 1 1/2" of screw sticking out.
I agree with the others, hang it outside. Put a chain on it if you are worried about theft.
If it really must be inside, bicycle hooks are the best. I used bicycle hooks when I bought my house and stored the ladder indoors. Decided the space was better used for something else and evicted the ladder.

Jon, just use some 1/2 x 8 inch lag bolts. torque them down at least 100lbs through the ladder..lol if you keep putting more stuff in that shed, you will have to call it a closet...lol

why dont you hang it on the outside the shed, fence side under the eve, so its out of the weather...

I made 2 frame from 1" square tube (had heaps laying around) that hooks over the joists. I slide the ladder into the frame flat so it then becomes a nice long shelf to store thin wooden profiles without them bending.
Bit of a pain when you want to use the ladder but not difficult.

Back