Need Help, Weight Of Lathe?

NITROTRIP

Active User
Registered
Hello everyone,
A good reason to post and say Hi. I need to lift my lathe off my gooseneck trailer and place it.
My lathe is a South bend 14 1/2" with a 8' bed, 6' center to center. Carriage and motor is still
on it. Everything else is off. The equipment I used to load it could lift 3 of them at a time.
But where it is now going is dirt and using a farm tractor to lift, pull trailer out from under
and carry 15' thru door and set on dolly's. Tractor forks are rated for 2700lb full height. I
will be lifting max 6' and get close to the base of the forks. Both other times I moved it the
machines were way oversized, this one is closer to what it can handle.

I know some of you have moved a little to a lot of these so any help would be great.
I wish I could just call the lady that worked in parts for South Bend almost forever but she
is now gone and we all miss her.

Thank You everyone,
Take Care,
Rick

Hi Rick,

The best way is if you know the the year and model number then you should be able to look it up.
Next best is to estimate based on a similar lathe in these manuals.

There a bunch of SouthBend manuals and sales brochures here:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/resources/categories/south-bend.34/

and here:
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=1617
(see the "Publications Reprints" tab)

Of course someone with the same lathe will see this in a very few minutes and give you the answer......

Have a very safe move!

-brino

My Monarch has an 18" swing and a 50" center span. If memory serves correct, fully assembled it was 2700#.
If like you say you will pick it up and drive out from under it, block up the front of the tractor. The tires will be your weakest link.
I personally would set it down on some 4"x4" runners bolt it down and skid it into the barn.

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

Also hitch a heavy implement (such as a round bale spear with a bale on it) on the three-point to provide a counterbalance and secure the machine to the forks.

I have a 14 1/2 with a 6 ft bed it's just or a bit more than a ton ....I took off the tailstock and carriage when moving it to ease some of the top heaviness....those two Items reduced it around 250 lbs or more

I think you will be fine. As John said hang some counter weight on the back. I unloaded mine with my backhoe and had to extend the hoe way out for the steering to work, but the lathe was around 4k. Mike

When I received my 13 X 40 Enco I learned the weight was not evenly distributed in the box consequently my small tractor wanted to tip to one side. I now make sure the forks are spread apart and they are lifting at the center of the weight.

Have a good day

Ray

Thank You all for your replies. Some great ideas to make use of.
Now I have a good base plan starting to come together.
Thank You again,
Rick

My 13x6 South Bend is around 1600#

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Back