Need Help With Decision on New Lathe and VFD

The Teco E510 is not a good choice for a lathe, it has limited programming features and it does not accommodate an external braking resistor which is recommended for faster braking and preventing braking over voltage errors which will cause the VFD to go into a free run. On small machines such as mills and grinders with basic rotation it works well. Teco does have the A510 and E510 series which would be a better choice.

I agree the E510 is a far better fit. No experience with the A510. I'm currently using the 510 on 2 mills and the grinder, and (soon to be) belt sander. Same VFD. All 2HP motors, nearly identical inductance and current draw. The constant stop/start requires an external braking resistor on a lathe.

I have fair experience programming the Teco product.

This will help with some of the installation. He really explains what he is doing very well!

Thanks Bretthl. You are so far ahead of me, it’s going to take time for me to catch up. I’m committed to learning this stuff though. Installing a Roush supercharger in my 2013 Mustang was difficult, but it was more mechanical focused than electrical...more up my alley.
BB, any update on your 1440E? I followed your lead and had Jason at Eisen swap out my pump for a 240vac 1ph. I live in California so I'm expecting mine to be delivered hopefully next week. I'm designing my enclosure now and was considering a Vortex Cooler but mksj convinced me otherwise. I'll keep you posted..

late to the thread... sorry. I've converted my mill and surface grinder using the Teco 510 VFD. Happy to help if you need additional info. Not too far away, either.
Are you in Edmonton?

BB, any update on your 1440E? I followed your lead and had Jason at Eisen swap out my pump for a 240vac 1ph. I live in California so I'm expecting mine to be delivered hopefully next week. I'm designing my enclosure now and was considering a Vortex Cooler but mksj convinced me otherwise. I'll keep you posted..
Here’s what I’ve done so far:
1. Confirmed most everything with mksj
2. Contacted Jason @Eisen to ship my lathe - should be shipped soon
3. Ordered almost all of the electrical parts - just a few small items remaining
4. Located a company to make me a new control panel faceplate similar to attached

Attachments

• C13AB516-EA62-449C-A83D-184DF14CFAC6.jpeg
    C13AB516-EA62-449C-A83D-184DF14CFAC6.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 30
No, I'm in Calgary, but close enought I could drive up if you get into a tight spot.

No, I'm in Calgary, but close enought I could drive up if you get into a tight spot.
Wow. What a wonderful offer!! I hope it doesn’t come to that, but I sure do appreciate your offer.

My largest equipment orders from Automation Direct and Mouser Canada have already arrived and been checked out. Everything is here and undamaged. Boy, these guys are fast. The remaining bits and pieces, including the Hitachi VFD are ordered, with the exception of the shielded motor cable. I’m just waiting for McMaster-Carr to quote a couple of shipping options. I’ll probably have some left over. If so, I’ll be sure to let people know how much in case they could use it. I’ve seen comments from Canadian hobbyists that McMaster-Carr won’t sell to Canadian individuals, but that doesn’t seem to be the case anymore...at least not what the salesperson told me. So that’s pretty good news because there really isn’t a Canadian equivalent.

I just went with Home Depot - by-the-metre 4 woire to the motor. Since it's less than a metre, it's fine. If I want to limit ERI, I'll put a ferrite bead on the VFD side of the output.

An update to McMaster-Carr. After it looked like everything was set, I got an email the next day. No-Go if you are a Canadian buyer unless you are a business. Doesn’t even matter if the shipping address is in the USA. Just one of the many joys of being Canadian. Their excuse was high costs and complexity of selling to Canadian individuals....

As it turns out, Automation Direct has a similar product. I should have just added it to my order. I might be able to get away with a non-shielded motor wire, but this will be my last lathe so I don’t mind spending a bit more to do it right.

Back