Need help with inserts

Well the cutter i have i cant dovetail because there isnt enough shank. But i will prob mill it down. But i need to decide what type of tool i want to make with them another turning tool would be nice. Boring bar also.

I have a few tools as well as maybe 100 or so Valenite inserts .

I just picked up a book. I guess it wouldn’t hurt. I got the metric version as well. Figure it would be best to get as well.

Measure the width of the insert. A 4xx insert will measure 1/2".

Here is a cutter that I'm keeping Brent since it'll fit my AXA Aloris holders . I do have plenty of inserts , here are 5 different grades and styles . If you don't know what you need or are looking for , I'll sell you a few of each if you're interested . If not , no big deal , they'll get used up down here . :)

Attachments

• IMG_8972.JPG
    IMG_8972.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 99
Thanks Dave. I am looking for generic right now since idk what i will be turning.

Is generic a new brand ? :big grin:

I mean like for generic turning capabilities steel stainless aluminum any of the sort.

It seems unnecessary by now to recommend David Best's book on inserts. There is so much info there. We can blow $30 in inserts without really understanding what we're getting, but the book shows a good set of inserts and insert holders to stock for each level of experience, beginner, intermediate and advanced. I would have saved way more than the book costs in avoiding useless inserts.

Back