Need Help With Rotary Table

Well Daryl I atleast will expand my understanding........found I. Law's book you recommended. Will take awhile though as it is coming from UK.

doug

Is the bottom of the housing that the table top goes on open? If so, can you provide a picture of what its looks like?

I hate to discourage making one from scratch as many are suggesting (I do too!)
But a good plan B to keep going on is actually ID'ing this table, and keeping your eyes out for one with a trashed table. It is usually the first thing to 'go', depletes the value greatly, and then you pull any parts you want off of it.

Takes some patience, and looking looking looking. Some clues might be other machines he had before he died, or owned before that. Then Google who made the tables that might have been sold with those machines.

Bernie

You to find out the DP or MOD and the angle of the worm gear so you can set up the lathe to cut the worm
with some luck your can cut the worm gear

Dave

4gsr, yes the bottom is open. The top is held in place by a ring.
I should be able to get a picture and upload it in the morning.
doug

Dave, finding the DP and CP and the lead angle is where I am having a problem of how to calculate. I believe I would need these calculations whether I am going to cut one or try to order one. Is that correct?
I am not sure what you mean by MOD?

doug

Bernie, thanks. I.D'ing may be a problem. There are no names or numbers in the casting, and there was no name plate.
IIRC this was one he got at an auction (he was a big auction hound) so no clues there.
If I can ID it, that may help, but some brands you would think the stripped parts were gold plated by the prices they are listed for.

Just google 12 inch rotary table, and look at "Images" tab. There wren' so many 12 inch models. I did this, and succeeded with patience. You will not likely find parts to buy, but a raggedy sample that won't sell for much, if you have patience and keep looking.

Bernie

Here are additional pictures of the rotary table. 4gsr requested a bottom view of the base, so figured I would fill in all views. Hope in addition to the "math/formula" question for the worm drive, someone may be able to ID the RT.

Here are views of the base. I do have a heavy coat of grease to rust protect it while disassembled.

doug

rotary table 3.jpeg rotary table 4.jpeg rotary table 5.jpeg rotary table 6.jpeg

Here are the additional views of the top of the RT.

doug

rotary table 7.jpeg rotary table 8.jpeg

Back