Need Ideas

Wheresmywrench?

Active User
Registered
I want to motorize the crank on my Maximat V10-P lathe/mill. My thinking is to replace the large crank at the top of the mill column 100_4002[1].JPG or perhaps modify to add a gear below it then power it with motor to raise and lower the head then use the handle on the side of the head to make the final adjustment. There are a couple bolts on the left side that I'm sure I could mount a motor to and replace the bolts with longer ones. I would just need to know what size and type of motor I would need. I will have to run a speed pot and a reversible low rpm motor. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Perhaps adapt a bodine gear motor to it. George Wilson mentions in one of his posts that he did
it years ago. Search the forum for 'bodine'.

37161-652b02c2a04d3d390ffd57840723ae39.jpg

37161-652b02c2a04d3d390ffd57840723ae39.jpg

I have a round column mill. I used a 24 volt wheel chair gear motor and a 12 volt power supply to raise and lower the head. Works very well.

I have been looking at Bodine gear motors on Ebay and they can be had for a decent price. Now I'm thinking I don't need a very high hp but what would be the best speed? They come in 115V AC and 220V AC as well as a wide range of DC voltages. Speeds run any where from 3 RPM up. I was thinking around 30-40 RPM.

Power window motors work good for a lot of applications. Good power, reversible, and cheap.

Back