Need input from guys using the Banggood etal OXA wedge style tool post. What tool post wrench do you use?

Do you know the nut thread size and pitch? Coarse, medium or fine pitch? (M10 is available in 1.0, 1.25, and 1.5 pitches)
If so, can you simply order a more standard size across the flats? Does the nut have to be long?
If all else fails make a nut that you like, with or without a handle. If it was me, I'd make a flange nut, or buy one.

Or, you could mill down the nut to 16mm. Lots of ways to solve the problem.
Yeah, all good ideas and I would probably make one.

As right now I’m still in the “This is annoying” stage and just looking for a quick fix.

If I make one I’ll probably use A2 and harden/draw it back to around 45RC. Gives it extreme toughness and a nice black finish that is pretty durable.

It’s just somewhere between 10-15 on my todo list.

As right now I’m still in the “This is annoying” stage and just looking for a quick fix.
I fully understand that emotion! If it was me, I'd either make a nut out of 1144, or simply mill the part. Hex collet block, a screw on mandrel with a flat flange, and some 0.25mm passes on the flats and it would be done.

However, the existing nut is made out of unknowium, so there is that. You have access to ovens for heat treat, which I don't have. So you could make it out of a nicer steel. So many choices! And diversions...

Funny how something simple turns into a project of its own. Happens to me all the time.

I have a CXA QCTP, but was having the same annoyance. My first CNC mill project was some tool holders out of aluminum. My second was to cut a "lathe wrench". It includes socket for the QCTP, tailstock and the feed direction nut. A smart person would not have forgotten the nuts on the toolholder height screw. Meh! Maybe on version 3.

Back