Need Repair Advice on Chuck Jaw

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
I am cleaning up a 3 jaw Union chuck and found it has a broken tooth on one of the jaws.
I'm between silver soldering the tooth back on or building up a tooth with some nickel rod
with the arc welder. What's the best way to fix this? Looking for opinions, thanks.

IMG_0408.JPG

Last edited:
I am cleaning up a 3 jaw Union chuck ans found it has a broken tooth on one of the jaws.
I'm between silver soldering the tooth back on or building up a tooth with some nickel rod
with the arc welder. What's the best way to fix this? Looking for opinions, thanks.
attachment.php?attachmentid=72708&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1395248776.jpg

What would be wrong with leaving the broken tooth out and using it as is?

Dan,

I could leave out the tooth but there are times when one need to
close the jaws on a small diameter rod. Also am looking at the
possibility of milling out some metal and bolting on a tooth some
way. If I had some material I would try to mill out a new part.
The material seems to be some sort of cast, maybe meechanite
type stuff.

What about making some soft jaws to go over the top of the existing jaws when chucking a small diameter part? Then you won't need the tooth that's broken.

That's a good idea. I can see where that would work.
I could do mild steel or aluminum maybe. I suppose I
would have to drill and tap in the existing jaws to
mount the soft jaws. I still havn't given up on a repair
on the tooth though.

.....I'm between silver soldering the tooth back on or building up a tooth with some nickel rod with the arc welder.....

You may find it neccessary to retemper the jaw.

... I suppose I would have to drill and tap in the existing jaws to mount the soft jaws. ....

Its probably hardened.

Cheers Phil

Can't buy a new set of jaws?
Cheers Kiwi

In almost every case a new set of jaws for a chuck would be more than the price of a new complete chuck.
Jaws are machine ground as a set to match the chuck body they are supplied with.

Cheers Phil

I'm tempted to try nickel weld in several beads and machine off the excess. That would fulfill
adding on the tooth and would not unharden the jaw would it?

I have a set of jaws for a chuck that I no longer have. Can you post some dimensions? If my jaws are the same you can have them.

Back