Need Repair Advice on Chuck Jaw

I am cleaning up a 3 jaw Union chuck and found it has a broken tooth on one of the jaws.
I'm between silver soldering the tooth back on or building up a tooth with some nickel rod
with the arc welder. What's the best way to fix this? Looking for opinions, thanks.

Don't try hard soldering because you need red heat to get the solder to flow. The jaws are hardened,you will anneal the jaw if you try hard soldering.Try an epoxy like JB weld.I wouldn't count on it holding forever but its worth a try. Otherwise use it like it is or as other posts mentioned soft jaws.Now it may be possible to soft solder the tooth. I have used regular plumbers solder and the correct flux,can't remember if it acid or rosin core. I never tried it on a chuck jaw but have had success making small tools that had a soldered joint. I pickled the parts in hydrocloric acid first. Then washed and scrubbed the parts with water. Fluxed the joint and heated the parts til the soft solder ran.Vinegar also works for a pickleing but takes longer.You won't lose the temper if you soft solder.

mike

OP, I see you're in Bemidji. I grew up in that area and went to BSU.

Welcome to the forum!

Without welding, probably TIG, I cant see any way to get a tooth on there that would take the stress.
Then you have to re-temper the jaw and that tooth wouldn't be accurate any longer so it would be useless anyway.
epanzella had a good idea.
If jcarters jaws match your chuck you might still have to lap them to the scrole and set up to machine the gripping faces true.
That has to be done with the chuck under clamping stress or they wont be true.
Sorry it broke out but itt'le take some time and work anyway ya go to get it fixed rite. May not be worth the effort.

I am cleaning up a 3 jaw Union chuck and found it has a broken tooth on one of the jaws.
I'm between silver soldering the tooth back on or building up a tooth with some nickel rod
with the arc welder. What's the best way to fix this? Looking for opinions, thanks.

I think you'll find that this won't effect chucking a small diameter, look at the location of your scroll in the chuck. This happened when someone was chucking something too large a diameter clamping it from the outside, the scroll was only catching on one tooth when they tightened down on it.

When you close this chuck, the jaw with the missing tooth stops before clenching in the center. This is an
old chuck and I suspect maybe the end of the scroll is broken off too. With nothing to lose, I used some nickel rod
and built up the area with the missing tooth. Then I machined off the excess on a rotory table. It works now
so will give it a try and see if it works out.

I think you'll find that this won't effect chucking a small diameter, look at the location of your scroll in the chuck. This happened when someone was chucking something too large a diameter clamping it from the outside, the scroll was only catching on one tooth when they tightened down on it.

Dr., If it was from to large of a piece it would have been a tooth on the other end of the jaw. Note the curve of the teeth, could have been sticking out and got crashed into. Or the scroll is broke short , maybe even came that way. Maybe possible that the jaws are from a smaller dia chuck and there fore not long enogh. not sure if that could be done but it would explain not having several teeth ingaged with the scroll when at center.Mark

Back