Need to get a Lathe - 2" bore

Sticks

Registered
Registered
What I want and what I can afford are two opposing things.

I would like to get a PM 1440HVT. I like the variable speed option. My choice earlier this year was a 1440GT.

However I don't have $19k floating around. Even $10 would be a stretch.

So I started looking at used lathes, but there are a lot of brands out there that I don't know what I should look for. Another problem is I hate buying sight unseen. There is only 2 used machine sales in Denver, and the inventory is lacking.

Space is also a problem. I work as field service technician, and the company gave me use of a retired moving trailer and that is what I have my other stuff I acquired in (CNC Plasma table, PM 940M, Granite 1324, band saw, couple work benches...). 53'x8' no climate control, and gets moved 2 to 3 times a year to job sites. I am a little leery of putting a delicate and expensive piece of equipment in it. I figure a 1440 is about as large as I can go and still be able to move around and work comfortably.

Lets start off with what brands should I focus on when looking at used engine lathes.

I did a quick look around on Ebay and found a Jet 1440ZX that would work, and a Clausing C1440 - but that came out of a tech school, so I am really skittish about that one.

You should be able to find something in the 1440 range for less than 10K$
The main thing is that the spindle bearings and bedways are in good shape
Some English lathes have Gamet bearings which are astronomically costly to replace
School lathes are often crashed, but sometimes can be good deals.
Production machines often are just plain worn out

Last edited:
Clausing and Sheldon made a number of lathes for the military. Many were permanently mounted in the back of a 5 ton truck. They have to be pretty tough machines to take that kind of abuse.

Last edited:
A little looking suggests that a 2" spindle bore is not the norm in a 14" lathe, though there are probably some available. They are much more common in the 15-17" range.

There are many very good quality brands.
Just off the top of my head:
Clausing-Colchester, Mori Seiki, Webb, (H)Wacheon, Cadillac, Howa, Victor, Takisawa

My ACRA 1440 has a 2 1/16 bore if you find one.

A little looking suggests that a 2" spindle bore is not the norm in a 14" lathe, though there are probably some available. They are much more common in the 15-17" range.

There are many very good quality brands.
Just off the top of my head:
Clausing-Colchester, Mori Seiki, Webb, (H)Wacheon, Cadillac, Howa, Victor, Takisawa
Of those listed, it seems that The market is heavy with Clausing Colechester lathes.

More popular, thus more out there, or disposable?

Of those listed, it seems that The market is heavy with Clausing Colechester lathes.

More popular, thus more out there, or disposable?
I LOVE me some Clausing Colchester. I put them at the top of my list along with Mori Seiki and clones. We had a 15 and 17. Very accurate and user friendly. Definitely not a disposable. The warning about Gamet bearings applies, though I've never had to deal with it.

Closest one that I have found and in my budget is still 600 miles away. It's like there are no machine shops in the central plains area. IL, MI, MS, AL and east is loaded with them. 1979 15x50 for $7k.

After spending a great deal of time looking at the ones you listed I do like the included features on those CC lathes. Will be putting that on the top of my list. I wonder how hard to VFD one of those.

I'll have to wonder over to the mfg specific area and do some reading on those lathes in general.

What I want and what I can afford are two opposing things.

I would like to get a PM 1440HVT. I like the variable speed option. My choice earlier this year was a 1440GT.

However I don't have $19k floating around. Even $10 would be a stretch.

So I started looking at used lathes, but there are a lot of brands out there that I don't know what I should look for. Another problem is I hate buying sight unseen. There is only 2 used machine sales in Denver, and the inventory is lacking.

Space is also a problem. I work as field service technician, and the company gave me use of a retired moving trailer and that is what I have my other stuff I acquired in (CNC Plasma table, PM 940M, Granite 1324, band saw, couple work benches...). 53'x8' no climate control, and gets moved 2 to 3 times a year to job sites. I am a little leery of putting a delicate and expensive piece of equipment in it. I figure a 1440 is about as large as I can go and still be able to move around and work comfortably.

Lets start off with what brands should I focus on when looking at used engine lathes.

I did a quick look around on Ebay and found a Jet 1440ZX that would work, and a Clausing C1440 - but that came out of a tech school, so I am really skittish about that one.
Maybe it's time for a paradigm shift?
Start thinking about a road trip.
If there aren't suitable machines in your area, expand your search area. I see lots of auctions for used equipment in Washington and lots of great machine stuff in southern CA.

Anything that I might consider to go look at in person has to be within 4 hours drive.

Beyond that is a buy sight unseen and hope.

Some vendors may be willing to video a machine and take extra measurements. The above 1979 lathe has a video, but unlike the 2 15xx30 lathes they had, no measurements of the ways.

Back