Need to get a Lathe - 2" bore

PM/QMT has a couple of 1440 lathes that are under 10K shipped with 2" spindle bores. The PM-1440-2SM / 2SM-V Lathe has been updated, and offers a lot at the price point. If looking in the used market then you would need to look at a D1-6 chuck mount or similar lathe so usually 1640 or 1740 so a much bigger and heavier lathe. I would not buy a used machine site unseen, unless it was a newer model or is a single owner hobbyist level. Used newish/lightly used 1640 lathe would be a rare find, you also need to consider that when you step up to say a 1640 or larger lathe all the chucks and tooling get more expensive. Moving a heavier lathe also is more challenging.

I bought a PM-14X40BV with a 2" bore a few years back. It's been a perfect lathe for me. I have zero regrets.

When buying used you need patience and the ability to make a quick decision. That can involve buying sight unseen but if you ask a lot of valid questions, you will find out quickly if the seller knows the machine or not. The 1440 and 1640 are basically built on a similar platform so the size difference is irrelevent. The 1550 group of lathes are all a Colchester design but with a clutch and a little heavier build. There was a period where Clausing had machines made in China and that is always a question worth asking. Always check that the oilers are working. If the ways get oil, your chances of minimal wear are better. Keep in mind that even a fairly worn machine can be finessed to within .001 or even a little less and chasing tenths costs money. The spindle bearings are most important but you need to budget 1000-2000 for the fixes that aren't apparent until after you purchase. It can be done but it helps to know something about machines when you go used. I learned as I went and it isn't cheap to learn. Worth it though when you figure it out.

Dave

PM/QMT has a couple of 1440 lathes that are under 10K shipped with 2" spindle bores. The PM-1440-2SM / 2SM-V Lathe has been updated, and offers a lot at the price point. If looking in the used market then you would need to look at a D1-6 chuck mount or similar lathe so usually 1640 or 1740 so a much bigger and heavier lathe. I would not buy a used machine site unseen, unless it was a newer model or is a single owner hobbyist level. Used newish/lightly used 1640 lathe would be a rare find, you also need to consider that when you step up to say a 1640 or larger lathe all the chucks and tooling get more expensive. Moving a heavier lathe also is more challenging.
I am very familliar with the PM lathe lineup. I would regret however settling (again) going smaller than what they have available due to finances (PM940M is one such regret - could have picked up a used knee mill for the same, again nothing local)

What I really would like is the 1440TL (actually cheaper than the 1440HVT), I like the idea of metric threading w/o change gears, and 4 way carriage movement w/o stopping flipping a lever and starting up the lathe again, just not a variable speed.
When buying used you need patience and the ability to make a quick decision. That can involve buying sight unseen but if you ask a lot of valid questions, you will find out quickly if the seller knows the machine or not. The 1440 and 1640 are basically built on a similar platform so the size difference is irrelevent. The 1550 group of lathes are all a Colchester design but with a clutch and a little heavier build. There was a period where Clausing had machines made in China and that is always a question worth asking. Always check that the oilers are working. If the ways get oil, your chances of minimal wear are better. Keep in mind that even a fairly worn machine can be finessed to within .001 or even a little less and chasing tenths costs money. The spindle bearings are most important but you need to budget 1000-2000 for the fixes that aren't apparent until after you purchase. It can be done but it helps to know something about machines when you go used. I learned as I went and it isn't cheap to learn. Worth it though when you figure it out.

Dave
Nothing I do is in the tenths thankfully. +/- a thou however is a must - and I can get that out of my Smithy, but I really need more umph and bigger in all regards. It barely has enough to run 18" between centers with a 1.125 bore.

Sol long as the backlash on the lead screw is kept at .004 or less, and the table does not flop around from wear // the gibs slightly tight a the tail stock end is stupid loose at the chuck, and the spindle bearings are 0 runout, then it will suit my needs. This however I don't know if these equipment clearing houses will do the measurements for me or I have to go look in person.

A private individual is your best bet. Dealers need to move machines and make a profit- not a bad thing but very difficult to asses the information you do get and if the machine is really good, you will pay an upcharge. I've done that for a very low use almost new condition machine but that won't be in your budget. The old Toolmex- Famot 1440 machines were well made and seen to go fairly cheap as they are rare in comparison to the Taiwan machines. Their gears are kept in a separate box and not in the headstock.

Dave

A lot of what I had to do last year had 1.5 or larger dia. finished items, 8" - 18" long. The worst on for me was the 10.5" axle shafts that were 1.75 in the center, then 2 more steps on each side, with a finished 1 1/8 - 7tpi thread on the last 1.5" of the end. Would rather work close to the chuck than between centers.

Might I had to your list "Summit". I have a Summit 14x40 (no longer made) with a 2"+ bore and it's a great machine. If you happen to stumble upon one, they're pretty solid, perhaps too heavy for you (~4500#) but seem like they'd meet your needs.
GsT

I had a Summit 1440B. It was made in Bulgaria by the same company that makes the Lion. It was a decent machine with a fully clutched headstock, a D1-6 spindle and a 2 1/4” spindle bore. Mine weighed about 3,350 pounds. I currently have a Toolmex Famont D2. The D2 part is important as this variant has a D1-6 spindle, 2 1/8” spindle bore, electromagnetic clutch and brake. It also has the gearbox in the base which helps isolate the spindle and makes really good surface finishes possible. This machine is physically smaller than the Summit, but when I had it on the scales it weighed in at 4,000 pounds. I’ve posted a couple pictures of them.

Both of these machines might be good candidates for what you’re looking for. The Summit is a little larger but lighter in weight. The Toolmex has a smaller footprint but is heavier. I recently saw a Summit just like this one that appeared to be in excellent condition for sale in an auction held in Lubbock, Texas. I’ve also seen a couple of D2’s for sale in California in the last couple of years.

Summit
IMG_0009.jpg

Toolmex
IMG_0787.jpg

Back