New 1340GT Coming and Need Assistance with VFD

Hey Bill,

There is many ways to do this. You will need to extend the For/Stop/Rev control cables if you mount everything in a new box. I think in total it is a cleaner build in a new single box (and is how factory installs are done), but depends on where the VFD is mounted. If you do a new enclosure on the back, make sure you leave enough wire that you can move the box in the future; if the lathe back is against a wall. The DIN rail, just makes it easier if you were to add other DIN components, but keeping it simple, there are screw holes to mount the relay directly without a DIN rail.

If I did not mount my VFD in the front cabinet, I would have put everything in a single larger control box on the back splash guard.

Mark

Hey Bill,

If I did not mount my VFD in the front cabinet, I would have put everything in a single larger control box on the back splash guard.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Already thought of that if I can't get the larger box to fit where the existing one is. And the lathe will be positioned along a wall, but I will leave room behind it for access. :)

Should I put the VFD's control panel in an accessible spot in case I need to manually change a variable or something?

Once the VFD is programmed and running, it is ok to be shut it away in a ventilated electrical cabinet. You need access if you get an error code, or to reset the VFD/change a parameter. The lathe control box is very small, so either a new big enclosure or locate the VFD in a separate enclosure. I think it will all become clear when you get the machine delivered, I would wait to see how it is laid out, then figure a forward plan.

I was thinking of replacing the contactors with the 4-pole relay, and keeping the existing 24v transformer and switch hardware. Then just rewiring what needs changing.

Should I get a DIN mount, or just move things over from the existing electrical box to the NEMA? (sorry for the ignorant questions, but I did warn everyone... :whistle:)

I appreciate you asking the questions... that way I can read the answers.

I plan to remove the panel between the cabinets and mount both a tool box and an elec box there... the VFD will be in that elec box.
I am probably gonna have to wait until the lathe is here... to figure out where and how to do this.

Yup, no sense in embarrassing both of us. :roflmao:

I'm not going to rush this one just to 'make chips'. Going to get it here and think this through. Not going to do this twice. :makingdecision:

I appreciate you asking the questions... that way I can read the answers.

I plan to remove the panel between the cabinets and mount both a tool box and an elec box there... the VFD will be in that elec box.
I am probably gonna have to wait until the lathe is here... to figure out where and how to do this.

Yup, no sense in embarrassing both of us. :roflmao:

I'm not going to rush this one just to 'make chips'. Going to get it here and think this through. Not going to do this twice. :makingdecision:

I agree. While I have a 'general idea' of how I want it to come out... I think you are right about getting the machine in the shop and looking (staring) at it until the obvious answers come to the surface of the little grey cells between one's ears.

I think the tool box in the lower middle will work out well... just need to figure where everything will line up.

hope i get it clear in my head by the time i order my lathe,,thanks for taking the time to put it on the form,,good home work..

hope i get it clear in my head by the time i order my lathe,,thanks for taking the time to put it on the form,,good home work..

Hi Mike,

Curious there.... Where is your home city... been a resident of the Norcross area for almost 2 decades... have not heard of your area.

THX

John

PS--I may look at the helps area of this forum and try to start a N GA (or) GA HM group.
Anyone want to be part of it?

Any of you guys who have a 1340 coming in this (Jan 2015) batch heard from Matt yet?

Talked to Matt last Friday via email and he said the lathes should be here any day now. But then he said it will take a while to inspect the lathes and get them through customs?!?!

So I'm not sure if by "here" he means at his warehouse or at the docks. I'm confused. :dunno:

Back