New 1340GT Coming and Need Assistance with VFD

Talked to Matt last Friday via email and he said the lathes should be here any day now. But then he said it will take a while to inspect the lathes and get them through customs?!?!

So I'm not sure if by "here" he means at his warehouse or at the docks. I'm confused. :dunno:

Yeah, kinda waiting for something 'solid'.

Last I Emailed with Matt... the lathes were supposed to be at PA over the weekend... however he did not say PA, rather 'here'... whatever that means.

And yeah, I expect at least a week to prep before shipping... then 4-5 days shipping.

Oh well... it will be here when it gets here... Just though I would ask.

HI GA Gyro.. I live about 40 miles west of Brunswick Ga. I came back here after retiring from the USAF. I used to know a man into GYRO's his last name was Patton. Haven't seen him since I moved back home though..enjoyed your posts nice shop..

HI GA Gyro.. I live about 40 miles west of Brunswick Ga. I came back here after retiring from the USAF. I used to know a man into GYRO's his last name was Patton. Haven't seen him since I moved back home though..enjoyed your posts nice shop..

THX for the reply... there are lots of places in GA I have not heard of (yet).

There will be a Saturday gathering of Gyro folks in Dublin GA, around St Patty's day... if you are free and want to see what they do. I probably will drive down... if business does not keep my away.

THX for the reply.

John

OK, as many know my lathe is here and I've started accumulating the parts necessary to convert this thing to a three-phase motor/VFD drive. I did not receive a pot from Matt, so as I have to go buy one I'd like to know what you guys are using. Simple carbon one-turn pot or fancy ten-turn? Wire wound? This thing will be connected via a shielded cable at least 5-6' in length.

Also, who if anyone has kept their 24v transformer? This electrical box is very tiny and there isn't much room in it for much of anything. I'm thinking that if I want to keep the transformer for the light (the VFD can't power it) I have to run an additional 240v single phase line to the control box?

Or maybe I just sell the light I have and buy a 120v one... :(

OK, as many know my lathe is here and I've started accumulating the parts necessary to convert this thing to a three-phase motor/VFD drive. I did not receive a pot from Matt, so as I have to go buy one I'd like to know what you guys are using. Simple carbon one-turn pot or fancy ten-turn? Wire wound? This thing will be connected via a shielded cable at least 5-6' in length.

Also, who if anyone has kept their 24v transformer? This electrical box is very tiny and there isn't much room in it for much of anything. I'm thinking that if I want to keep the transformer for the light (the VFD can't power it) I have to run an additional 240v single phase line to the control box?

Or maybe I just sell the light I have and buy a 120v one... :(

Bill, I kept my 24 VAC coil and powered it from a separate hot to power my light is all. I just wanted to keep the transformer/light isolated away from my VFD as a precaution, may be a bit paranoid but it worked out well and was an easy install as far as that goes.

I use a single turn 1k ohm potentiometer that I picked up from a local electronics supply house, but I think McMaster Carr has them as well.

You are correct, that there is not much room in the electrical box but it is doable to fit everything in there, it is just a bit of a challenge to keep everything "tidy" looking.

Mike.

Thanks Mike! After reading the manual a bit during lunch ( RTFM... ;) ) I saw that the VFD is configurable to sink an external 24v power source. I will check the current rating of the 24v transformer to be sure, but I'm thinking I may just run a single-phase line to the transformer and power both the light and the control logic. All I have to do is reference my external power source to terminal 'L'. I'm also going all in here and will be making my own control panel to replace the factory one. I went ahead and bought the metal 5k pot, the metal lighted jog button, and a metal E-stop button. I will also be adding a SPST switch to enable two-stage braking. Whew! Goin' high-dollar now...

Actually I just prefer metal to plastic is all. :D

Oh, wait...did you say that transformer is AC, not DC? Oops. that means it's only usable for the light.

Well... I am into my wiring... have most of the high voltage done.

I did my high voltage similar to Mike (Zmotorsports), I have a NEMA box on the side of the left PM cabinet. I have a 240V line (4 cond, L1-L2-N-G) going from there to the lathe control box, for the TXFR and for 120V for various accessories.
I need to sit down and figure out the Hitachi VFD... when I have that mastered... it will probably be a half day project to get the wiring finished.
The stand is done, the lathe is wiped down (I think the guy applying the goo was paid by the bucket... LOL), all I need is to finish the wiring and do the alignment stuff.

And I have a couple of lathe projects waiting.

BTW: I was at the local HD over the weekend... they have a 25 ft generator cable with 4 prong NEMA twist at both ends... rated for outdoor (bright orange)... on close out:
The 10GA was $18.95
The 12GA was $12.95
I cannot buy 25 ft of SJ wire for that... and I get the plug and outlet. Pics to follow in a new thread... will explain.

I've decided to forgo the 24v light and just rip everything out of the electrical box. I'll put the relay in there, leave the bus bar and source the control voltage from the VFD. Anyone want a 24v halogen light? I'll either buy a 120v one, or just get another Delta mag base light.

I've decided to forgo the 24v light and just rip everything out of the electrical box. I'll put the relay in there, leave the bus bar and source the control voltage from the VFD. Anyone want a 24v halogen light? I'll either buy a 120v one, or just get another Delta mag base light.

I might be interested in the light... thinking to have two on the 935... tired of the shadows.

Send me a PM with what you want for it and shipping costs to Norcross GA (30071), THX

I would keep the light, get a 50-100w 24vdc PWM power supply off ePay to run it. They run off 100-240 vac. The stock transformer would not work with the Vfd source logic which is vdc. Would use a decent quality linear tracking 2-4w pot, either carbon film or wire wound. Also check Mouser Electronics, I can check if I have a spare and send when I get back from traveling.

Back