New G0602 Setup

Paul Fithian

Registered
Registered
I made up this bench for a new G0602, now on its way from Grizzly. Found a good spot in the garage and dropped a 20 amp 110 circuit to it over the weekend.

Weld table bench top is 36"x16" and rated for 1,000 lbs.
G0602 Bench Setup.jpg

I already have a good tooling package for this, including an AXA QCTP with 3/8" bits

First mod will be to install a ToAuto DRO with 200/500 mm scales, in the boxes on the lower shelf in above picture: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Readout-Precision-Milling-Machine/dp/B088K2RN6B/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3KHU4PFE6IIJA&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.f19ezcIMEhYswMiOyQpBTfksC58HqMYlfDC1UuX3h-3Jkv35lOysNdvFNS8xcoVKNHHH2ojBoEjy_3p_DEB1Hga59gi2PrLI5NtGK81J2QoG_3I5mn-D6M31BUgsTsBp-XRJjlanYzGLogE2-NSQuotoveJ1wouN3uTr3ArFznSY_18LNtSwtOfnv15la5M_iTRhKSAnAGiaSs1Jgo6z4-0LIuOycemc6t-kAdsCt1M.LAZbv7vfhgRAFlDSbjtv5rfFyRWTYNAlOU8ur7a9oDw&dib_tag=se&keywords=toauto+dro&qid=1712593080&sprefix=toauto+dro,aps,99&sr=8-3&th=1.

Looking for a suggested way to mount the cross slide scale on one of these 10x22 lathes, I've looked several really good postings and videos. What works best?

Any other suggestions for this setup?

I have a 602 and used the iGaging capacitive scales, largely because of the difficulty fitting a cross slide scale without compromising the 602 capability. Prior to purchase, I considered glass scales and there no feasible location for the x axis scale.. Some of the possible mountings that I considered were along the left and right side of the included mounting,straddling the ways, to the back of the bed, and at right angles to the cross slide, parallel to the bed. Straddling the ways was out of the question due to size constraints. In back of the bed was a possibility but the back splash would have to be cut in order to accommodate the scale. A right angle mounting, using a flat tape and ball bearings to change the direction of travel 90º was the most promising but it was fairly complicated to make it work properly.

Since I installed my DRO, there have been multiple improvements in available scales. Slim line glass scales are available now, as well as magnetic scales with a much smaller profile. So either may be worthy of consideration.

Here is my thread on my DRO install. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/another-lathe-dro-install.34106/
It may give some useful ideas.

I made up this bench for a new G0602, now on its way from Grizzly. Found a good spot in the garage and dropped a 20 amp 110 circuit to it over the weekend.

Weld table bench top is 36"x16" and rated for 1,000 lbs.
View attachment 485911

I already have a good tooling package for this, including an AXA QCTP with 3/8" bits

First mod will be to install a ToAuto DRO with 200/500 mm scales, in the boxes on the lower shelf in above picture: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Readout-Precision-Milling-Machine/dp/B088K2RN6B/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3KHU4PFE6IIJA&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.f19ezcIMEhYswMiOyQpBTfksC58HqMYlfDC1UuX3h-3Jkv35lOysNdvFNS8xcoVKNHHH2ojBoEjy_3p_DEB1Hga59gi2PrLI5NtGK81J2QoG_3I5mn-D6M31BUgsTsBp-XRJjlanYzGLogE2-NSQuotoveJ1wouN3uTr3ArFznSY_18LNtSwtOfnv15la5M_iTRhKSAnAGiaSs1Jgo6z4-0LIuOycemc6t-kAdsCt1M.LAZbv7vfhgRAFlDSbjtv5rfFyRWTYNAlOU8ur7a9oDw&dib_tag=se&keywords=toauto+dro&qid=1712593080&sprefix=toauto+dro,aps,99&sr=8-3&th=1.

Looking for a suggested way to mount the cross slide scale on one of these 10x22 lathes, I've looked several really good postings and videos. What works best?

Any other suggestions for this setup?

Dayton delivered the lathe in good condition:
IMG_4300.jpeg

Plan is to lift onto a temporary stand to install the longitudinal DRO scale before final placement.

Now on a pair of HF dollies under the shipping pallet to enable moving around the garage

Dayton delivered the lathe in good condition:
View attachment 486494

Plan is to lift onto a temporary stand to install the longitudinal DRO scale before final placement.

Now on a pair of HF dollies under the shipping pallet to enable moving around the garage
Very nice. Be sure and inspect all way fits and alignments. My 9972 when delivered was post covid and they did a PATHETIC job at quality assembly. My drive pulley alignment was WAY off. My compound gibs were so tight i needed a wrench to rotate the screw, and my carriage would start to bind under power as i would traverse towards the tailstock (the ballscrew was way out of parallelism to the bed).

Installed the X-axis and display before moving the lathe against the wall. Still need to sort out how to do the cross slide scale.

These G0602’s have an empty penetration and strain relief at the bottom of the wiring box, I used it to route the display power cord to the main electrical feed IMG_4361.jpegIMG_4360.jpegIMG_4362.jpeg

Last edited:
Installed the X-axis and display before moving the lathe against the wall. Still need to sort out how to do the cross slide scale.

These G0602’s have an empty penetration and strain relief at the bottom of the wiring box, I used it to route the display power cord to the main electrical feed View attachment 487117View attachment 487118View attachment 487119
Excellent work ! FYI the axis parallel to your bed is technically the "Z" axis. The axis that runs perpindicular to Z (the axis parallel to your cross slide) is the "X" axis. This is one of the reasons i stayed away from certain DRO display units as they do not have a provision for "Z" . Technically a conventional 2 axis lathe does not use "Y" as an axis. You can designate your axis' however you choose.

Placed in final location and cleaned up most of it
IMG_4395.jpeg

Checked a razor blade alignment between centers
IMG_4393.jpeg

Cross slide makes contact with the bottom of the apron flats only, you can see a gap between the top of the apron flats and the bottom of the cross slide

Back