New G4003G lathe

No, just copy, paste.

I'm looking forward to the results I've read about here.

Just wanted to let everyone know I changed my headstock oil today in my G4003G, Magnet was in the same spot I left it 268 hours ago,I had very few heavy metals on it, did have a very fine pool around it look like black diesel oil, had to be very fine metal because it was for sure attracted to the magnet. I used my vacuum evac. tank, and the hose to suck it off the magnet, and pick up anything else I saw in the gear case. I filled it very close to full after installing the top cover, I ran it with the new oil and no moly additive yet. It pretty much sounded the same with new oil. I made sure my funnel was short enough going thru the fill hole in the top it was not hitting any gears inside the gear case, I then added the 8 oz power punch moly into the gearcase as the machine was running at 350 rpm, put in slow so it was mixing good. I am not exagerating one bit after about 3 minutes,the machine was running smother with a lot less noise! The only 2 thing's I noticed are: 1 the moly bottle is dark inside so it is a little hard to see the 8 oz level, 1/2 the bottle on my bottle, I used my machine lamp and held the bottle up to it and I could see it easier. 2 The other thing I noticed is the sight glass on the machine gets way darker, but I still have a small bubble at the very top so I can still see the level OK.
Bob in Oregon

Re: New G4003G lathe OIL HOLE IMORTANT !

This may have all ready been touched on but I want to make sure everyone know’s about it. There is a side cover right above the electrical part of the rotary switch on the G4003G. It is a cover for the lead and thread screw shafts. There is an oil port that can only be accessed by taking that cover off. I saw this cover mod online months later! When I first got my machine I took that side cover off, and took it over to my mill, and made a counter bore, that I could put 2 o-rings in so when the cover was on the oil holes were sealed against the machine case, and oil could not run out between the cover and the case, thus not get to the bearing’s in the machine. I still did not notice this other oil hole. I have attached some pictures, if you study them you will figure it out. Basically you mill away part of this cover with a mill, and then make a sliding cover you can slide and access the lead screw oil port! The pictures show the one on the web and the one I made for my machine!

Take Care Bob in Oregon

- - - Updated - - -

This may have all ready been touched on but I want to make sure everyone know’s about it. There is a side cover right above the electrical part of the rotary switch on the G4003G. It is a cover for the lead and thread screw shafts. There is an oil port that can only be accessed by taking that cover off. I saw this cover mod online months later! When I first got my machine I took that side cover off, and took it over to my mill, and made a counter bore, that I could put 2 o-rings in so when the cover was on the oil holes were sealed against the machine case, and oil could not run out between the cover and the case, thus not get to the bearing’s in the machine. I still did not notice this other oil hole. I have attached some pictures, if you study them you will figure it out. Basically you mill away part of this cover with a mill, and then make a sliding cover you can slide and access the lead screw oil port! The pictures show the one on the web and the one I made for my machine!

Take Care Bob in Oregon

Sorry about the IMPORTANT TYPO I was in a hurry!! Bob

- - - Updated - - -

Also need to give credit where deserved, The pictures are both of my machine, and from the first article, I saw about this on another forum. He had the nifty oilers on his machine, he told me they were shop built, so it's not just a MSC or Mcmaster Carr deal to get them on our machines! Thanks Bob in Oregon

100_0597.jpg 100_0594.jpg 100_0595.jpg Picture 006.jpg Picture 004ed.JPG

I found it online here: http://www.powerpunchinc.com/Gear_Oil_p/ep1-each.htm I went to a couple of regular auto parts around here and they did not have it. There is a higher end speed shop by where I work, I hope they will have it. Bob in Oregon

The Post Office isn't very happy right now. I ordered a one gallon jug of the stuff and paid for UPS shipping. He shipped it thru the mail and when it arrived at my post office the jug had opened up in transit and soaked thru the box and onto the entire mail shipment for my town. Post Master was chewing my ass when I told her, that it wasn't my fault, I didn't box it or ship it.

I immediately stopped credit card payment and emailed the vendor, no reply from them yet. Needless to say, my experience was not good and I don't think I will order anything else from them.

:yikes:WOW. I would hate as a shipper to get that phone call. Keep us informed.

Last edited:
Well, the vendor is giving me a complete refund and the Post office isn'r mad at me anymore.

Well, the vendor is giving me a complete refund and the Post office isn'r mad at me anymore.

Hey, Sorry about the trouble you had with them shipping the oil! I would have never thought that would have happened! I have order a bunch of oil products online, and they ALWAYS come with the lid tight,with tape around it, to make sure it stays tight! And also they normally have at least 1 maybe 2 plastic bags around it! Never would have thought this guy would just thrown it in a box, and trust the post office!
Sorry Bob in Oregon

Hi,
I bought my G4003G in November of 15 an it too had some paint issues and a ton of burrs everywhere but what do you expect for $3250? I have had this machine more or less completely apart and have machined a few parts and did a few test with 1018 and I must say that for the money I am extremely pleased with my purchase. I started machining in 1978 and this is the first machine I have bought for myself. This little lathe will take a .100 perside pass in 1018 with negative rake CNMG tooling at max RPM (1400) and a .01 feedrate and not even grunt. (If you are going to attempt this please make sure you have a very rigid setup.) That's impressive for a 12X36 lathe of any sort, much less a $3250 Chinese machine. And my spindle runs within .0002. I'm lovin it.

Back