New Guy, New Mill (pm940)

I should note as well... Can't believe I haven't mentioned this. Matt has always been easy to reach. I've read that he's hard to get in touch with, etc. I have not experienced that at all. If he's out, I call back a little later the same day and talk to him. Through email, he always responds the same day. He's been very helpful. Just wanted to mention that.

Here is why I'd like to clean out the head and replace the seals before I even run the thing for more than 30 seconds... The stuff on my finger is what wipes off the quill.

IMG_20160810_161200.jpg
IMG_20160810_161233.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. Looks exactly like an engine that's seen better days. At least the oil from one. Wiping it on a piece of paper leaves exactly what you'd imagine... lots of residoodoo. ;) The machine is actually clean now, except the head. What you see on the table behind the shot of my finger is the leakage from the head. I'd imagine it won't take that long to go through and I'll be glad I did.

Sounds like the oil seals on the head are leaking or missing. The seals are located around the shafts of the speed change knobs. Remove the front panel on the head a take a look.

Mine does the same thing. I've been wiping it down when I'm done working and before using it again. Right around the quill, just like yours. And my motor starts hard in high range. Wish it had soft start !

I'm just a little "frightened" by the color of it. I plan on replacing the bearings and switching to a belt drive at some point, but I don't plan on doing it anytime soon. I'd hate to fry the thing before I'm ready. ;) I've had hardly any time to work on the mill the past two weeks. I've been trying to finish up my shop/office. I sheetrocked it and put the flooring in, just had the final electrical inspection. So I guess it's time to start using it... :) I will say, I'm glad doing sheetrock or flooring aren't my day jobs! That's hard work.

On another note, my new drawbar showed up quickly after I let Matt know the original was messed up. The new one is much better. Not perfect, but it works.

As for the motor, I'm lucky enough to have the 3 phase and a VFD on mine. It's smooth as silk, I can even set how quick it spins up. I was going to suggest a soft start for the motor but they aren't cheap... (around $100) Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.alliedelec.com/schneider-electric-atsu01n206lt/70007394/ Least you can mount it right in the panel on the back. :)

MR Basher , I spoke to Matt about that dark oil on the quill. He says that oil is independent of the oil in the head gear box , just wipe it off before and after. I just did my first oil change of the gear head, the oil came oil like new. So I'm pretty sure the dark stuff coming down the quill may be cosmoline up inside that I couldn't get at during my initial cleaning of the mill. . As for the drawbar, I had the exact same problem. I put an indicator on it and it was slightly out of straight...would go in tooling outside the mill no prob but not work in the mill. He sent me a new one and I works fine. Thanks for the soft start and VFD info. I'm gona look at that tomorrow when I get home. Looks like it's only about a $500 upgrade which is not bad. It sounds a little complicated to wire it in so it still uses the existing controls on the mill....and no clear cut directions exist. Anyway, thanks for that info and link

Last edited:
Hey guys, yes, the quill does not get oil from the gearbox, (Unless it seeps a bit, which is pretty common on these) so nothing to worry about there. Its just going up and down in its bore, and its probably just dirty in there. Nothing at all to worry about, the head is sealed off from that. No oil on the spindle bearings, they are greased.

Back