New Guy With An Old Atlas Lathe

S

Spike

Forum Guest
Register Today
Howdy,
I am sorry if this is inappropriate in this section but I could not find an "introduce yourself" thread on the forum. Anyway, I found this place while researching info for an old Atlas QC54 metal lathe I just acquired.

I have no knowledge of this particular machine but I do have a novice level knowledge of metal lathes. I will be reading up to learn how the lathe I have is operated and what all it is capable of, so thank you in advance for all the info I am about to read through!
Yours,
-Spike

Welcome to the forum Spike.

Can I suggest that you check out this forum and there is a section specifically for Atlas equipment, and there are members there that are experts on Atlas lathes.

David

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I have loads of reading to do here and in other places. And a lot of cleaning and lubing and and and....... Till I get some of the accessories for this machine I can do little with it so i imagine I'll need to browse some sites that sell what I need. Technically the lathe is a loaner as the guy who owns it sold the barn he kept it in and had nowhere to keep it, he offered me the use of it if I would store it for him. I don't plan to pour money into someone else's lathe, but a bit here and there for letting me use it is fine. Once I figure out what all I need. I don't really have any stock to chuck up yet anyway.

Aside form the lathe I think I will enjoy the forum here just because I enjoy the same sort of tinkering I see many of you like. Just wait till I get around to the 'show off your shop' thread, the first few pages were fascinating! I have a small shop packed with plenty of general purpose tools for metal working and auto repair, but no real precision tools. Oh and I like to take plenty of photos and look at photos others post, I get good ideas that way all the time.

Thanks again!
-Spike

Welcome Spike! Sounds like you'll fit in VERY well here! We all like pictures of the things we fiddle with. One of my favorite activities is to read the threads dealing with fixing and making stuff and tools to get ideas. I don't have enough experience machining to be of very much use, but the information and helpful nature of all here is great!!! :D
By the way, I just recently finished rebuilding a new-to-me Craftsman/Atlas 12-inch lathe and may be able to provide some information about yours or help if needed.

I would not consider myself any sort of actual machinist really. I guess I am pretty much the opposite of that. Much eye balling and 'close enough' in my tinkering activities.

My biggest problem when it comes to projects is that I really would rather build/fab/buy useful things. I have no culture so art is lost on me unless it's the sweet sound of a strong running hemi or some such. Even that is way out of my budget anyway. The next problem is that I am pretty much out of room in my tiny shop for more stuff, useful or not. It took a lot of shuffling to make a place for this lathe I can tell you.

I believe I have found the first issue the lathe may have recently. Forgive my use of the wrong names for stuff but I am going to say the cross slide auto feed only sorta works. It acts like there may be busted teeth up under the apron that should turn the lead screw when the handle is pulled. I just have no clue how any of it comes apart. Are parts still available for this old machine? I have a parts list but no manual with instructions on disassembly.

Thanks for reading my ramblings.
-Spike

Spike,
Welcome to Hobby-Machinist.com. You sound a lot like many of us.
Others will chime in and help with your power feed problem I suspect, but I'm a big fan of MrPete222 on YouTube. He has a video where he discusses the innards of the Atlas. See if this helps:

Steve Shannon, P.E.

Back