New Guy With An Old Atlas Lathe

Thanks Rocket. I have subscribed to that channel and will no doubt kill hours and hours learning from that gentleman. Thanks!
-Spike

Welcome Spike. You can download manuals for your lathe from this site. Got any questions many people here can help. To fix your crossslide problem your going to need to take the apron off and check the gears.

I've got a few videos of the atlas lathes I have and fixed on my youtube.

Subscribed! Thank you sir! I found the problem today, it seems there is a mitre gear with a spline that rides in the groove cut in the main feed screw that is wiped. Now to figure out whether to replace it or figure a way to cut a groove in and just use keystock.
Thanks again!
-Spike

I have some spare parts, let me know if you need anything.

I do in fact need one part Steve. It is Atlas part number 341-051 mitre gear for the auto cross feed. Mine has had it's spline wiped. You can see it in the exploded view I printed off. It is the gear with the name and number underlined in red.
341-051%20Mitre%20Gear%202_zpso1nu9wem.jpg
Sorry for the horrible photo. Any help would be great!
Thanks,
-Spike

That's a common problem, I've got one that has the spline/key portion broken also. Sorry I don't have a good one.

I have thought of trying to drill a few holes and put in some pins to replace the key, the gear is useless as it is now so nothing to lose.

You can likely still buy the gear directly from Clausings. That key is the weak link when the carriage gets jammed some how. A better fix is to cut the leadscrew and install a sleeve that joins the two back together using brass or aluminum rod as a weak point. I simply used a .125" aluminum siding nail.

After giving it some thought I think I will either buy another gear or just live without a power cross feed. I don't want to sink too much money in a machine that could leave at any time if the owner decides he needs it.
Thanks!
-Spike

Back