New Handles For Pm1340gt

Randbo

Registered
Registered
So I had a few free hours this weekend and decided to play on the lathe. I made some new handles like many others. I decided to make them out of stainless instead of aluminum. I have quite a bit of 304 stainless 1 inch stock. A little more of a pain to machine but I love the way it looks.

IMG_0815.JPG

I used a 1/16 inch parting blade to make the groves. I went .080 deep and took off the edges with some medium scotch-bright.

IMG_0816.JPG

I did a .390 diameter, . 380 deep counterbore and threaded it 3/8-16.

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

Made some for the Mill as well...

IMG_0814.JPG

I sure like them much better then the plastic ones!

Very nice.

I have a PM-1340GT on order. Will be a big step up from my current 7x10 Harbor Freight Toy Lathe. ;-)

Those look really nice. I love how little upgrades like that make a big difference

Nice upgrade on the handles, funny how the small things can change the appirence of a machine. I like the look of them and when I get time, I may do something similar on my Enco 12x36. Nice workmanship.

New knobs turned out great. I love the feeling of mine. I just picked up a Holdridge radii turning attachment for mine and will be machining some new round ones for the mill shortly.

Mike.

New knobs turned out great. I love the feeling of mine. I just picked up a Holdridge radii turning attachment for mine and will be machining some new round ones for the mill shortly.

Mike.

You got a Holdridge? Cool! 4S or 4D?

Bill, it is a Holdridge 4D. Bought it used off of ebay. I used it for the first time Friday night making a new knob for my mill quill downfeed. I have to play with it a bit as my ball turned out a bit ovaled like a football. Overall it was a nice addition to the shop. I had to make a very slight modification for it to work with the compound on my PM1340GT but nothing major.

Mike.

What modification? All I've done with mine is make a t-nut and kinda set it up there to take a look at it. Haven't actually run it yet. Given that I have a bit of time on my hands of late with the layoff and all, I planned to dig it out today and actually make an attempt to use it.

I want to try making a teardrop like knob like those on the SBs at the Grizzly site for the fwd/rev lever on the 1340. If that goes well I will start making some for the mill. If it comes out ok, I may even post a pic or two. :)

Back