New Handles For Pm1340gt

Bill, nothing too major to modify. The plate that slides into the "T" on the compound was too thick. My "T" groove measures approx. .310" thick and the mounting or thread plate that came with the Holdridge measured .360". I merely set it up in the mill and took .050" off and it slid right in. I then just had to put shorter socket head capscrews (1.25" long) and had to take .025-.030" off of them so they wouldn't make contact on the bottom of the compound. Once setup it seems quite rigid. Had a little issue with chatter and took some playing with to eliminate and then I have to play with it still to get a round ball, mine came out more oblong/football shaped.

Mike.

So I had a few free hours this weekend and decided to play on the lathe. I made some new handles like many others. I decided to make them out of stainless instead of aluminum. I have quite a bit of 304 stainless 1 inch stock. A little more of a pain to machine but I love the way it looks.

Made some for the Mill as well...

I sure like them much better then the plastic ones!
They look pretty sweet !

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Here is a shot of the ones on the headstock.

Randy

image.jpeg

Yeah I've been known to cause all kinds of problems! Ha ha

Those look nice. I considered knurling mine in the beginning but decided against it. I didn't want to deal with knurling stainless! Im guessing the ones you made are 6061?

7075 T651 Sir... ;)

I should admit that I pulled out a bar of stainless, stared at it for a few seconds, and wimped out for the 7075. I honestly haven't learned how to master stainless yet. I can turn it, but it ain't pretty. And no I didn't want to knurl stainless either! :D

Last edited:
The header for this post should be pimp my 1340! Looking good guys! My little 7x12 is buried under 8'months of junk, I neeeeeed to get into the shop!

Back