New Helmet

I just noticed the picture I posted has the vent system, mine does not have that.

I have an Optrel e684 as well, and I love it. Just have to keep the lenses clean and the clarity is great. I do have a Crystal 2.0 on the way though.

IIRC it covers higher amperage welding, or do I have that reversed? I agree, these are nice helmets, cant wait for the cheaters to come in.

IIRC it covers higher amperage welding, or do I have that reversed? I agree, these are nice helmets, cant wait for the cheaters to come in.
The e684 handles high amperage up in the 12-14 shade a little better and works better out in the sun.

the e684 goes up to shade 13, whether in manual mode or in Auto-Pilot mode, so that's good for up to about 250-300A, depending how close you are to the arc, and how your eyes react.. An arc at 250A is still very dang bright for shade 13, IMO. I'm gonna have to put a separate lens in front of the helmet's lens if I ever want to venture north of 300A.

If y'all don't know what Auto-Pilot mode is, it is awesome for TIG welding. After it darkens after you strike the arc, it adjusts the shade level (darkens-lightens, within the welding shades of course, not back to the clear state) on it's own in response to the intensity of the arc-light, on the fly! I was blown away when I first used it.

I have not tried auto yet, I'm scared it might go too dark for my not so good eyes.

Auto-pilot is still under your control. You know that same knob that controls the dark shade on manual mode? That same knob works as a relative adjustment in terms of steps. That is why it has -2,-1,0,1,2 on the scale. If too dark, go more towards the minus side, as per your taste. If the arc is too bright, then turn more towards the positive side, as per your taste. Keeping the amperage constant, as well as the distance from your head to the arc, once you find a good ± adjustment, it will maintain that same shade no matter the arc brightness.

This is how you "set" the helmet:

for example, if you set are viewing a 50A arc, you adjust the knob while on Auto mode with one hand to your liking, and leave the arc on for about 10 seconds. Then extinguish arc. Then re-start the arc for another 10 seconds. Then extinguish the arc. Do this 5x. Now the helmet learns what brightness level your eyes prefer, and so long as the relative adjustment stays the same, when in Auto Pilot it will auto-darken to the learned shade level, and it will adjust itself if you have a brighter arc or dimmer arc, in order to keep the light transmission through the filter the same

Great thank you, the instruction manual I got was a little thin.

It has a cleaner/clearer view, less shading tint. The Lincoln was better than my Miller. I did not feel any adverse effects from the view, I'm only shading at 9. The other Optrel helmet is supposed to be better for higher amp TIG if I remember my comparisons right.
I'm toying with the idea of getting a PAPR for woodworking and grinding protection. I like the idea of getting one that also would work for welding. Lincoln, 3M, and Miller all make helmets that have flip-up welding filters with a large clear shield behind. Optrel doesn't seem to make anything like that. Is the "clear" setting on the Optrel clear/big enough to be satisfactory for general face shield use?

I'm kind of torn, I like the Lincoln because I have generic cheaters in them, the Optrel I have to use my glasses. With the filter cartridge in, both are tinted, the Lincoln 4C cartridge is fully removable, where the Optrel I have has a wire harness to the side knob, and does not look to be fully removable.

Back