New Job

twhite

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I just finished up my first week at my new job. I returned to my roots. Standing at manual machines (Lathe&Mill) so far. They have jug boring machines and various grinders. Hopefully I will get to use those too but n the near future.

I must say I forgot what it is like standing for an 8 hour shift. Been riding a stool at a computer too long. After the second day I was wiped out. By yesterday started feeling better. The boss man came by yesterday when I was cleaning up for the day. He wanted to know if I want to do Overtime. As much as I want. I told him I need another week or two to get my stamina back.

I can’t tell you how much I LOVE standing and working manual machines. I think I found my new home!

Cutting oil is my blood.

Great news . What kind of jig bores do they have ? P&W ? Deckels ? Lindners ?

Congrats, Tom. I'm glad you found a new home for your skills!

Thanks John.

They pay is not great but I think I will do fine with some OT. The best part is my coworkers. They all are very friendly and helpful getting me tuned in to how things are done there. The owner and VP are super cool dudes. They really honestly try to have an open and friendly relationship with all the employees.

What really impressed me was a meeting that had yesterday. They wanted all of us to know why they let a new engineer go. He was a young new hire. 9 days on the job. Apparently he was giving a big superior attitude to the machinists and other workers.

The owner wanted us all to know that he does not want anybody treating us like that. He wanted to explain exactly why they let him go. I hope that young man learns from his short time at work. You do not treat others like that. At work or anywhere for that matter.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Thanks John.

They pay is not great but I think I will do fine with some OT. The best part is my coworkers. They all are very friendly and helpful getting me tuned in to how things are done there. The owner and VP are super cool dudes. They really honestly try to have an open and friendly relationship with all the employees.

What really impressed me was a meeting that had yesterday. They wanted all of us to know why they let a new engineer go. He was a young new hire. 9 days on the job. Apparently he was giving a big superior attitude to the machinists and other workers.

The owner wanted us all to know that he does not want anybody treating us like that. He wanted to explain exactly why they let him go. I hope that young man learns from his short time at work. You do not treat others like that. At work or anywhere for that matter.

Cutting oil is my blood.
That young man blew a terrific opportunity. There's a lot that a freshly-minted engineer can learn from a pool of experienced machinists.

GsT

Wow sounds like a great place- too few of those left
Get plenty of rest and vitamins- stay hydrated

I am pounding the water. I remember that for sure. I will get some vitamins for sure. Thanks for that tip

It is a smallish company. 45 employees total. The owner is the son of the founder.

Cutting oil is my blood.

That young man blew a terrific opportunity. There's a lot that a freshly-minted engineer can learn from a pool of experienced machinists.

GsT

For sure. As my company has the engineering dept get together with the machinists when a new project comes in. That way engineering will know what type of fixtures are actually useful and practical to get the job done. Actual team work. Not the type of so called team work of large companies. Where it rolls down hill to us lowly peons. Then we got hung out to dry for not being team players.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Wow, this sounds like an amazing place. There is someone suited for every job. The idea of being a machine tender like my idea of what running CNC machines would be a nightmare. I like the idea I’m making parts not just checking them when they spit out the back.

I hope it continues to work. It sounds like a truly rare place especially that it’s now being run by the son. My experience has been very negative with 2nd and 3rd gen places. Good luck.

Back