New Job

Wow, this sounds like an amazing place. There is someone suited for every job. The idea of being a machine tender like my idea of what running CNC machines would be a nightmare. I like the idea I’m making parts not just checking them when they spit out the back.

I hope it continues to work. It sounds like a truly rare place especially that it’s now being run by the son. My experience has been very negative with 2nd and 3rd gen places. Good luck.

Thanks.

The son is an Engineer. The father still shows up on occasion. We repair aircraft components there. So there is a wide variety of parts rolling in all the time. It will be nice not knowing what I will work on next.

I hope it is as good as it appears right now. 4 or 5 machinists have been there at least 8 years each.

Cutting oil is my blood.

4 or 5 machinists have been there at least 8 years each.
This is an amazing metric. I NEVER stayed anyplace more than 5yrs because something would **** me off. One of those things was always doing stupid monotonous stuff. Some guys love that, it drives me CRAZY. Making toothpicks out of logs is my nightmare, literally. I could almost tolerate it when it met an end, but when it was just a stupid miscalculation, no bueno. I could always gauge the shop by the turnover. To find a place where guys want you to be one of the team and have been there for years and like it there is pretty much a unicorn IMHO.

This is an amazing metric. I NEVER stayed anyplace more than 5yrs because something would **** me off. One of those things was always doing stupid monotonous stuff. Some guys love that, it drives me CRAZY. Making toothpicks out of logs is my nightmare, literally. I could almost tolerate it when it met an end, but when it was just a stupid miscalculation, no bueno. I could always gauge the shop by the turnover. To find a place where guys want you to be one of the team and have been there for years and like it there is pretty much a unicorn IMHO.

I hear you on that. Turnover is really high in our trade. I was shocked there were that many. There are literally 100’s of different parts. Some may take only an hour or so to fix. Others a week or more. So it will be a nice variety to keep my interest.

I cannot stand high volume production work. Drives me insane. The monotony of it.

We will see how I feel after several months. Hopefully it will be half as good as my initial impressions.

Cutting oil is my blood.

I cannot stand high volume production work. Drives me insane. The monotony of it.
Amen, I hope it works out down the line. No job has been what my first impression was. I guess it was my Polly Anna side that would see the best of what I was looking for. None ever stood the test of time, but I hope it’s different for you, I REALLY do. It sux being so cynical. The only good thing for me was it drove me to doing my own thing that had been a side hustle that went live when I ended up being forced into it.

Amen, I hope it works out down the line. No job has been what my first impression was. I guess it was my Polly Anna side that would see the best of what I was looking for. None ever stood the test of time, but I hope it’s different for you, I REALLY do. It sux being so cynical. The only good thing for me was it drove me to doing my own thing that had been a side hustle that went live when I ended up being forced into it.

Fortunately or unfortunately I am very tolerant of not so good working environments. This is only my 5th job in 43 years of machining. 11 the first, 4 the second, 9 the third and 19 my last. All were either mold making or prototype machining. So I always had a nice variety of work. Boredom was never the issue for leaving.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Congratulations on your new job. Sounds like a good group of people there. That makes a huge difference in the quality of your work life. That satisfaction often crosses over into the other aspects of one's life.

Back