New Job

Congratulations On finding a good job. There is so much more to life than good pay and you seem to have found it.

I wish I was not on the other side of the Mississippi from you. I am an engineer, love airplanes, (have a pilots license) and even have a small clue about machining and other shop functions. ANd would love to get into a place that did not have an iron curtain between engineering and the shop. At every place I worked at, after a few years I was able to either knock down that wall or at least get some holes in it , usually just by actually listening to the issues of the shop people and if what they wanted could be done I did it, If there was an real reason to do it the hard way I would fully explain that reason and then they would have no issue doing a PITA job.

Where I am now they just weld stuff together, all machined parts get jobbed out, I am the closest they have to a machinist, and the only machine is a knee mill that is just a bit bigger than a Bridgeport. It is pretty much only used as a drill press. I am the only one that has a clue how to run it to make parts.

HA I guess that sounded like a resume.....

Thanks John.

They pay is not great but I think I will do fine with some OT. The best part is my coworkers. They all are very friendly and helpful getting me tuned in to how things are done there. The owner and VP are super cool dudes. They really honestly try to have an open and friendly relationship with all the employees.

What really impressed me was a meeting that had yesterday. They wanted all of us to know why they let a new engineer go. He was a young new hire. 9 days on the job. Apparently he was giving a big superior attitude to the machinists and other workers.

The owner wanted us all to know that he does not want anybody treating us like that. He wanted to explain exactly why they let him go. I hope that young man learns from his short time at work. You do not treat others like that. At work or anywhere for that matter.

Cutting oil is my blood.
I yelled at one of our H1B visa guys and set him straight on our relationship 6-8 months back.

Hes Indian and accustomed to the caste system VS merit/knowledge and thought he was my superior. He cried to upper managment who told him to listen and take direction from me (Told me his miscommunication was bad work on my part and I wasn't having that), and that he should try to learn from me as all the engineers H1b's and home grown) have much respect for me.

Its been smooth sailing with him ever since.

Management still has issues with how he treats people and acts towards them in meetings, I just tell them to bark at him a bit to set the tone of the relationship, but corporate culture on the MGMT side does not allow this.

I voulinteered to bark on their behalf, but this was a non starter.

Congratulations On finding a good job. There is so much more to life than good pay and you seem to have found it.

I wish I was not on the other side of the Mississippi from you. I am an engineer, love airplanes, (have a pilots license) and even have a small clue about machining and other shop functions. ANd would love to get into a place that did not have an iron curtain between engineering and the shop. At every place I worked at, after a few years I was able to either knock down that wall or at least get some holes in it , usually just by actually listening to the issues of the shop people and if what they wanted could be done I did it, If there was an real reason to do it the hard way I would fully explain that reason and then they would have no issue doing a PITA job.

Where I am now they just weld stuff together, all machined parts get jobbed out, I am the closest they have to a machinist, and the only machine is a knee mill that is just a bit bigger than a Bridgeport. It is pretty much only used as a drill press. I am the only one that has a clue how to run it to make parts.

HA I guess that sounded like a resume.....

I believe they will be looking for a new Engineer for sure.

Seldom have I had Engineers work closely with us Machinists. The ones that did made work so much easier for the both of us.

True Teamwork is a wonderful thing for all involved.

I am very grateful to have found this job. It will be a nice place to hopefully finish my career at.

Yes Money is not everything.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Seldom have I had Engineers work closely with us Machinists. The ones that did made work so much easier for the both of us.
I was in the prototype top secret lab at a company for 13 years where the engineers and machinists worked together in designing new military products . It was a great job and good $$$$ . I left in 99 when I knew my requirements for money were going to grow with the kids getting older . Started a job 7 nights a week which was mandatory . I'm still in contact with all my AAI co-workers and my classmate is running the manufacturing dept . today .

Back