New Lathe Change Wheels Calculator

jdm23

Registered
Registered
Time ago I needed to cut a non standard thread on my Chinese 250mm lathe, finding the solution was not difficult, but I remained a bit unsatisfied with the available calculators, both online or Windows executables, so I started working on an existing one and made a bunch of improvements to it. Screenshot of the compact version, it has four buttons that can be used to show additional information.

changewheelscalc.png

Brief feature list
  • Written in JavaScript, runs within the browser on any device. A specific goal is the widest possible compatibility, to run even on old devices.
  • It's not dependent on the Internet. Copy it as a single .HTML file on your device then open it with the browser. That will require enabling "local file access" which varies from a device and browser to another.
  • Supports metric and English (in TPI or thou) units, including inch leadscrews, with internal conversions reduced to the minimum to preserve accuracy.
  • Has an embedded list of few popular lathe models, new ones can be added editing the source file
  • Supports entering or changing lathe parameters in a simple form, so you can test for a different lathe before adding it to the as described above.
  • Calculate the most important "physical constrains", to exclude combinations which cannot be fitted for a reason or another
  • Supports lathes with one (still untested) or two axles on the quadrant. At this time only a straight quadrant arm pattern is supported.
  • Immediately presents the full list of possible threads that can be cut, in either units that you can switch, as well a list of standard ones
  • The lists on the point above are presented as links so you can just click on them to get the solutions
  • Shows approximate solutions (within 0.01mm, or 4 tenths) also, just because it can
  • Includes the gearbox speeds (if any) in the calculation.
  • Shows all the setups (as in number of gears used and position of the cluster) which have solutions as separate boxes
  • Collapses common solutions using idler gears on a single line. Idlers are represented as a range from the smallest to the largest possible.
Solution format
To avoid cluttering the screen with diagrams, the solutions are compact and given as a single line.
If the solution is exact for a given thread, only the list of gears (and gearbox reduction if any) transmitting motion is given. Gears / cluster physical position is fixed for a same box and is illustrated if you expand "show wheels config".
If the solution is approximate il would be slightly greyed, and show first it actual resulting pitch.

For example in the screenshot above the first 3 gears solution is 20…85 20…85 60 1
The first two gears (on top and bottom axle) are idlers. You can use anything from 20 to 85 teeth - as long these two are matched to fit!
The lowest gears (on the leadscrew, or gearbox input if present) must be 60 teeth.
The gearbox reduction for this solution must be 1. It can be identified with a letter on the lathe itself.
However, 3 gears solution are little used. If we go to use a 4 gears solution there will be no guessing on the idler gear. Of course, 5 gears solution have no idlers.

That's all about the present version, goes without saying it may have bugs and for sure new features can be added. I will try to address both requests as my time permits.

Link to the online version which I'm hosting for the time being: http://pab.fastmail.com/ChangeWheelsCalc/index.html
Remember, as with evertyhing 'JavaScript open source', once opened you can context click on the page, do "view source" and save it locally. It should be identical to the one I'm attaching here.

Questions and issues, please post here, do not PM. That to be more useful to others.

Attachments

• ChangeWheelsCalc.html
    31.1 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
I've just fixed a silly bug about presenting a default lathe when running the page for the first time. If you had tried and could not get it to work, it should now, my apologies.

What I want to do next is to calculate the physical fitment of the quadrant cover, so not to induce working without it.

Any feedback is welcome.

Last edited:
Nice!

Only problem I am seeing is with a 5 gear combination the 2nd gear must be smaller then the 1st gear as they are on the same axle. The 1st gear contacts the spindle, so the second gear on that axle must be smaller to not contact the spindle. Not sure if I have a setting wrong allowing this to happen. But any combo with a smaller 2nd gear can be found by looking down the list.

Only problem I am seeing is with a 5 gear combination the 2nd gear must be smaller then the 1st gear as they are on the same axle.
Correct. That is the case not only when using 5 gears, but also 4 gears with the compound on top. Furthermore, the 2nd gear needs to be not just smaller than the 1st, but small enough to clear the spindle, which diameter in that exact segment may vary depending on how it the spindle is realized. The program takes all that into account, and as you can see in the example screenshot above, all 4 and 5 gears solutions have the 2nd gears smaller than the 1st.

Not sure if I have a setting wrong allowing this to happen.
Possibly you have entered new parameters but not filled the field 'Spindle Dia. above 2nd gear'? I was initially reluctant to do that, but based on your feedback now I think I will change the program so that a default is presented for this value, that is the root diameter of the 1st gear,
Also, if you have a lathe that is not listed among the ones I had inserted, would you please post it's full parameters here, so I can add them to the embedded list.

I ran into the smaller/larger wheel thing last night. I am curious. Why do none of the calculators match what is on my chart when I input those threads? Mine is a MX-210V, 56T Spindle, 2mm lead with 20 30 33 40 50 52 60 66 72 80 84 gears (Which I need to address soon, they will not align correctly). It threaded 1mm nicely.

Attachments

• PXL_20220324_015718494.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220324_015718494.MP.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 112
  • PXL_20220324_015742048.jpg
    PXL_20220324_015742048.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20220324_015810713.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220324_015810713.MP.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 101
  • PXL_20220324_015856574.jpg
    PXL_20220324_015856574.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 103
Why do none of the calculators match what is on my chart when I input those threads?

Well, I don't know about the others, but mine does. It is listed last, because normally with a quadrant cover that is smaller at the top, you need to fit the largest gears on the bottom.
Cattura.PNG

If you can post the rest of the parameters I will add to the program.

BTW, looks to me that the design of the belt is good on your lathe, with a reducing countershaft and multi-v belts. Without these, there would have been not enough grip for sure on the small pulleys.

Man, that is awesome. What parameters do you need me to get and I will get them. Also, I am also a web host, I am happy to host the site at no charge if you need it anytime since you are doing this out of the kindness of your heart.

What parameters do you need me to get and I will get them.

Cattura.PNG

Basic parameters should be easily understood.
Module: for a gear of dia D and Z teeth, M = D / (Z - 2)
Spindle and spacer dia, spindle-leadscrew center distance, these should be clear enough?
Maximum Center distance between top axle and leadscrew: push the top gear all the way up in the arm slot, measure its distance to leadscrew between centers
Biggest possible gear on leadscrew: so that the cover still closes. most likely, the biggest gear in the factory set
Gearbox ratios: 1 for no gearbox

Also, I am also a web host, I am happy to host the site at no charge if you need it anytime since you are doing this out of the kindness of your heart.

Thank you for the offer, what I'm using isn't that great. Let's iron out the last details and then you're welcome to host it permanenty.

View attachment 401575

Basic parameters should be easily understood.
Module: for a gear of dia D and Z teeth, M = D / (Z - 2)
Spindle and spacer dia, spindle-leadscrew center distance, these should be clear enough?
Maximum Center distance between top axle and leadscrew: push the top gear all the way up in the arm slot, measure its distance to leadscrew between centers
Biggest possible gear on leadscrew: so that the cover still closes. most likely, the biggest gear in the factory set
Gearbox ratios: 1 for no gearbox

Thank you for the offer, what I'm using isn't that great. Let's iron out the last details and then you're welcome to host it permanenty.
Ok, I will measure it all. Only thing I am unsure of is module. I assume from others it is 1.5. Sounds good on hosting, my dedi server has been online for almost 20 years so we can communicate via email when you are ready. It costs me nothing to add it on and moving is simple, you would just need to maintain your domain.

Back