New lathe day - Warco GH600

It appears he's limited in being unable to lower the tool holder ...

I'd look for some way to lower the top of the compound.

How about using AXA-XL(?) tool holders. The kind with a thinner bottom so they will hold thicker tooling?
That's a strange way to design a lathe. Sizes of QC tooling is pretty well standardized.

How about using AXA-XL(?) tool holders. The kind with a thinner bottom so they will hold thicker tooling?
That's a strange way to design a lathe. Sizes of QC tooling is pretty well standardized.

Now this is a good question. I’ve not heard of these. I’ll measure them up and see if they’d help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not had loads of time on the lathe, but having a quick change gear box to change the feeds is amazing! Small thing, but coming from lathes that have this controlled by change gears, to me this is great.

Now this is a good question. I’ve not heard of these. I’ll measure them up and see if they’d help.

From what I can see from measuring my tool holders and looking at dimensions of the XL tool holders, the XL will give me 2mm in height. I’ll order one and see how it looks.

If you have access to a mill, maybe taking a couple of mm off the bottom of your tool holders will help. Yes, it will weaken them a bit but you are unlikely to be taking deep cuts with that lathe. Limit tool stick out.

If you have access to a mill, maybe taking a couple of mm off the bottom of your tool holders will help. Yes, it will weaken them a bit but you are unlikely to be taking deep cuts with that lathe. Limit tool stick out.

I do have a mill. That’s a good idea. I’ll give it a try.

I do have a mill. That’s a good idea. I’ll give it a try.

I've done it before with tool holders from CDCOtools.com. I don't know what steel they used, but it was pretty hard (file skates off from it). You'll likely waste an end mill but it's worth it to be able to use a QCTH!

Bruce

With the 10mm tools and standard holder I come to 1mm below centre line:

61490ccbb7d12d0d3b49eacd3f1171a7.jpg

I think that should be fine? Is there any reason I’d ever need to be below centre line anyway? And if so, how far? The XL tool holders should get me 3mm below centre line.

Back