New lathe day - Warco GH600

I have recently been collecting data on a few different tool holders. This is in the context of my 13-inch lathe with BXA QCTP. I was fitting it out with 5/8-inch tool holders with inserts. For years I was running 1/2-inch tooling with no issues. At 5/8-inch I found my regular Phase II and my Shars XL holders were a bit too tall. However, some recently acquired Precision-Matthews XL holders worked okay. I wound up removing material from the bottom of the Phase II and the Shars XL. I used a carbide insert face mill. All of them fit fine now.

The good news is that the PM holders are also the most economical. With any luck, the AXA size might also work for you.

Before you ask: I bumped up to 5/8-inch as they have room for shims under the insert.

Thanks for the info. I just received my XL tool holders and they still don’t allow for me to use 12mm tooling. I’ve both 12mm and 10mm tooling though, so it’s not really an issue. If I come to the conclusion that 12mm would benefit me, there’s very little to take off the XL holders to allow me to use them with 12mm, so I’ll just do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back